Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's and Y/loudmouth 2 or True Duals/Bullets

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT's and Y/loudmouth 2 or True Duals/Bullets

As the title says, I want to compare the two systems(LT's, o/r y, and loudmouth 2 vs LT's x-pipe true duals and bullets-3" pipes-dumped) from a few aspects.

1. Which system would be louder? And would the louder system be a noticable amount louder? Wondering if revving either of these systems could set off car alarms.

2. Which system will dyno higher peak gains? I searched that the x-pipe should show more mid-range and low end power, but not sure about top end.

3. Will dumped true dual drone with straight through mufflers give you a headache? For comparison, I have driven in a mach 1 mustang with LT's, o/r h-pipe, and loudmouth 2 cat-back and the drone was not bad at all, although a bit noticable, but it was good and not annoying/loud.

4. I was originally thinking custom 3" straight pipes dumped before the axles right from the LT headers back with no mufflers or 2 loudmouth 2 resonators, but I heard that would kill drivability due to low end power dissappearing. Is that correct? You think that would satisfy the sound I am looking for? (look below for more info)

I know what both systems will sound like from clips and in person observations. I'll be happy with either sound since they are both bad *** and popping/backfire sounds that I love (and possibly thinking of testing dumped true duals with loudmouth 2 resonators), but I want the loudest possible exhaust I can have and live with DD. I'm open to any opinions and suggestions based on my situation. Money is not a problem when it comes to exhaust, and I was looking at pacesetter LT's, so would they be the best sounding LT's? I know they are cheap and fit well, but I am looking for sound as a top priority.

Just to make sure, do the bullet mufflers on true duals give a backfiring sound when decelerating like loudmouths?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM

I almost forgot. About the headers. I know there could be a little power difference between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 headers, but is there a sound difference?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

1. Which system would be louder? And would the louder system be a noticable amount louder? Wondering if revving either of these systems could set off car alarms.

I had originally LTs with ORY and Open Cutout and it would set off alarms.

I currently have my dumped TDs and they do they set off alarms too.

Having actual mufflers on your car rather than bullets will make the car much more quiet. When I would cap the cutout, it would sound almost stock unless I got on it hard.

2. Which system will dyno higher peak gains? I searched that the x-pipe should show more mid-range and low end power, but not sure about top end.

In theory Dumped X pipe should yield more HP than an ORY and Cutout. Though, the Y pipe it it had a legit flowmaster merge should scavenge about the same.

Benfits of X pipe are a different exhaust note (it is more high pitched) and it saves on weight.

3. Will dumped true dual drone with straight through mufflers give you a headache? For comparison, I have driven in a mach 1 mustang with LT's, o/r h-pipe, and loudmouth 2 cat-back and the drone was not bad at all, although a bit noticable, but it was good and not annoying/loud.

My dynomax bullets drone really bad if i give it a ton of throttle at low RPMs. Cruising above 2k makes the drone disappear.

Cruising with an open cutout is worse, the pulses just vibrate the **** out of the car and make you want to kill yourself. If you cap the exhaust, there will be no drone if you have an actual muffler on your car.

4. I was originally thinking custom 3" straight pipes dumped before the axles right from the LT headers back with no mufflers or 2 loudmouth 2 resonators, but I heard that would kill drivability due to low end power dissappearing. Is that correct? You think that would satisfy the sound I am looking for? (look below for more info)

Whoever says you lose low end power from TDs is talking about ***** ****. In reality, you don't loose power from a free flowing exhaust, you gain it. You will get better MPG because your engine runs more efficiently. Drivability is the same as with my Y.

you do need some sort of H or X on your TDs so you can take advantage of scavenging. If you don't know what that is, google it.

I know what both systems will sound like from clips and in person observations. I'll be happy with either sound since they are both bad *** and popping/backfire sounds that I love (and possibly thinking of testing dumped true duals with loudmouth 2 resonators), but I want the loudest possible exhaust I can have and live with DD. I'm open to any opinions and suggestions based on my situation. Money is not a problem when it comes to exhaust, and I was looking at pacesetter LT's, so would they be the best sounding LT's? I know they are cheap and fit well, but I am looking for sound as a top priority.

Pacesetters are legit, plenty of people use them... I use them as well and they make nearly the same power as all the other headers. If you have the money and plan on going with a big supercharge system or nitrous shot. Give the kooks 1 7/8s or QTPs. Pacesetter are 375 shipped, you cant beat that....

Just to make sure, do the bullet mufflers on true duals give a backfiring sound when decelerating like loudmouths?

Mine crackle and pop under high RPM engine brakes. I think my tune is rich so it will do that...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks. Any other input out there guys?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Duals will be louder hands down. If you go with the bullet muffler, it will not tune the exhaust note it will only try to absorb it. That why I went with a Power Stick from Classic Chambers. Or do true duals with Flowmaster 1 chambers, I had that once too. Sounds awesome!!! LM 2 is not loud. So if you want just loud noise go with LM 1 or duals with bullet mufflers. If you want a nice, loud tone go with Powersticks or 1 chambers.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Teching In

i used to run an ORY and LM2 and i was never happy with it. it sounded pretty good, but was just too raspy for me. I recently switched to TSP true duals with dynomax bullets and the sound isn't even comparable. the TD's sound 10X better all around. i was suprised with the bullets though, it's louder than my old ORY/LM2 setup, but not by much at idle, cruising, or light acceleration. I'll be the first to say though, that it is WAY louder at WOT, but it just sounds downright wicked.