Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

dealers marking up sticker price

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealers marking up sticker price

I am wondering if the dealers are going to mark up the sticker price on the camaros when they come out. I purchased a new truck and the salesmen told me they got there first zr1 in and marked it up 10k .
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They can stick the mark up, up their ***! The problem is that some people will pay it.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Dealers pulled the same crap when they introduced the Challenger. They were going for 10-15k over around here in FL.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think the base models will be marked up but it wouldnt surprise me if the ss's were marked up 3-5k
Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

I just talked to a dealer about this the other day and he assured me they would be selling for sticker..
Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM

The way things are going with dealerships now in days they just wanna sell something. I say they'll be selling sticker or just a little over sticker.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what is sticker gonna be on the base models?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

someone has a link to a Camaro5 thread with a list of dealers who have promised to sell for sticker
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

A friend of mine went to order a 2010 Camaro SS, most of the dealers in the So Cal area tried the "dealer adjustment" of 5k. The first one she went to flat out lied that the only way to get a manual trans was she had to order the 2SS package and pay an extra 5 grand. When she told me I damn near went to the dealer to call them out......this is the crap that give car salesmen a horrible name. I told my friend to hold off and let me call my contections at the dealer I deal with, lo and behold Martin Chevy in Torrance came through at MSRP. In this economy the salespeople need to worry about keeping a job, and this "dealer adjustment" crap is way outta line with the way cars are selling today.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Most of us are selling them for sticker. If a dealer wants more, move on to the next one.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Most of us are selling them for sticker. If a dealer wants more, move on to the next one.
Exactly.

There are PLENTY of dealers selling at MSRP - and even lower.

If your dealer wants a markup, walk out the door.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Exactly.

There are PLENTY of dealers selling at MSRP - and even lower.

If your dealer wants a markup, walk out the door.
I hope someone QUALIFIED walks through my Chevrolet dealerships doors and wants to buy a new Camaro.

When the Wii first came out were they sold at sticker or something less? Did you stand in line? If there are only 1,000 SS's built in the first 6 mths. I'll bet sticker is the least they go for. Every Tom Harry and a few Dicks will say they are interested in the new car and want to drive and buy one. Dealers perhaps won't be doing much trading either. Conclusion, we have know for the past five years the car was coming. In that time if you really wanted one why haven't you ordered it? Lets say you receive 0% interest since you don't have cash. For every 1,000 off sticker you receive you'll save 16.67 per month for 60 mths. $1000.20 over the life of the loan. How bad you want one? You've had time to save and pay cash for the car. I'll give you 2K off sticker. Restriction is I do the F&I. Do you want to guess what your interest rate is? High enough that I'll make back the 2K and then some. If you really want one order it. Your color, your options. Pay the going rate what ever it is, or pay cash. Or buy a Chevrolet dealership. Then you can sell every car for invoice.

Jakes Dad
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

^^ im in the business to and i agree with you 100% people complain about it when they cant or are not buying ....if you can get the car for a good deal in your eyes then buy the car ...i sold Z06's back in 2001 for 5g's over sticker and the people who bought them were very happy cause i had the car when no one around us had them .... its all in the eyes of the beholder

Last edited by ndfrsd6; 02-24-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all about how well the supply will keep up with the demand. As mentioned, when you've got 2000 ppl in a given area wanting new SS's, and there's only gonna 1200 cars to go around for the next few months in that area.........don't be shocked or surprised that dealers are asking for more than MSRP. This might not effect ppl who want to order their cars and are willing to wait....but there will be lots of interested buyers who will want to go look at the car, drive it, and write a check so they can drive it home that day. Those are the kinds of buyers who will validate those markups continuing (or even drive them further up).
Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The supply isn't going to be limited though. They are going to build every car they can and flood the market all they can. There won't only be a certain number of V8s available either, they'll build every one that a dealer wants to order.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
The supply isn't going to be limited though. They are going to build every car they can and flood the market all they can. There won't only be a certain number of V8s available either, they'll build every one that a dealer wants to order.
I understand that. But the factory capacity isn't unlimited. Meaning that if there's a big enough rush of ppl clamoring for a new SS.....and wanting it as soon as possible, dealerships could find themselves in a position similar to what Ford dealers experienced in 04/05 where they couldn't keep a new GT on the lot for more than a few hours. The demand overwhelmed Ford's production capability...leading to more demand than supply, and subsequently: markups at alot of dealers who were cashing in on the insatiable customer want.

Now, of course, plenty of dealerships will honor factory pricing regardless of the supply shortage. But I know in my area dealer markups at domestic lots have proven hard to get around........leading to a need to take a long drive to find more reasonable dealerships. Some ppl are willing to take that drive, but alot of others are too lazy/impatient to. IMO, your best bet is simply to order your Camaro from the factory and put up with whatever wait is necessary. Not only do you get the car YOU want from the ground up, but more often than not you avoid having to deal with dealer lot markups of any kind. That's my experience, anyways.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Before pay and insane amount of markup for one I will continue without one.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
i sold Z06's back in 2001 for 5g's over sticker and the people who bought them were very happy cause i had the car when no one around us had them .... its all in the eyes of the beholder
Hahaha... a car salesman actually thinks he was justified in overpricing cars.

You did those people such a favor, congrats. I'm sure those people were unaware they were being ripped off. Right?

I swear, Domestic Auto Dealerships are half the reason nobody wants to buy American. They're always douches. I won't even go to the closer Pontiac dealer in my area anymore
Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

you probably work for a non profit organization so everybody get the best deal on what your job does .....i never twist anybody arm to buy a car ,if they want it and can afford it then they will buy one ...and its not just domestic dealers that mark up car but i forgot everybody thinks they know everything about the car business
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hc8719
Hahaha... a car salesman actually thinks he was justified in overpricing cars. HELLO MR. - CAR SALES ASSOCIATES DON'T STRUCTURE THE VALUE OF NEW AND USED VEHICLES. WERE YOU IN THE MILITARY?

You did those people such a favor, congrats. I'm sure those people were unaware they were being ripped off. Right? SEVERAL FOLKS CARRY WEAPONS AT THIS DEALERSHIP. BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYONE USE THEIR WEAPON TO SELL A CAR IN PAST 40 YEARS.

I swear, Domestic Auto Dealerships are half the reason nobody wants to buy American. They're always douches. I won't even go to the closer Pontiac dealer in my area anymore
I DON'T KNOW OR REALLY CARE WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING. I'LL SAY NOTHING ABOUT YOUR "DOUCHES" COMMENT.
HOW ABOUT QUITTING YOUR JOB AND COMING TO WORK SELL NEW CHEVROLETS IN OHIO? NEVER MET YOU - DON'T KNOW YOU BUT I'LL BET "YOU" WOULDN'T LAST 90 DAYS. OH HELL, I'LL GO 60 DAYS!!

Jakes Dad

Quick Reply: dealers marking up sticker price