LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 throw out bearing

Well hopefully my issue is the throw out bearing. Is there a aftermarket one I should run, or are all LT1 throw out bearings equal? Just wondering, I'm going to see if the local part stores have one or not tomorrow night. I should have my trans uninstalled Saturday morning, at this point I have the car up on jackstands, h pipe and driveshaft out so I'm ready but not happy to taking this apart again.

Here is a vid, I have a thread going on in the manual section of the site, but I wondered if in the LT1 specific chunk here if there was a better throw out bearing or not. Here is what the car is doing:Un-natural noises.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Well hopefully my issue is the throw out bearing. Is there a aftermarket one I should run, or are all LT1 throw out bearings equal? Just wondering, I'm going to see if the local part stores have one or not tomorrow night. I should have my trans uninstalled Saturday morning, at this point I have the car up on jackstands, h pipe and driveshaft out so I'm ready but not happy to taking this apart again.

Here is a vid, I have a thread going on in the manual section of the site, but I wondered if in the LT1 specific chunk here if there was a better throw out bearing or not. Here is what the car is doing:Un-natural noises.
I can't really tell from the video. How many miles does all of your clutch components have on them. If you are dropping your tranny, inspect the clutch and t/o bearing thoroughly. I would also replace the pilot bearing while you are at it.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey S.R.J., here is a link to my thread in the manual trans section, I don't know if the info will help you or not:https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...g-syncros.html

Is there a aftermarket bearing though, or are all throwout bearings for our cars created equal? Any brands I should avoid if I go to the local parts store?

Clutch disk has about 5-6k on it, new pilot bushing when I did my motor swap about six months back, resurfaced slp billet flywheel, pressure plate was modified from my last clutch, so I should have replaced the throwout bearing when I put all this back together, I don't think the place that did this clutch installed a new throwout bearing, so the one that is in there has about 30k on it if that were the case.

Thanks for all the help. -Corey
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get ready to pay for that throw out bearing. It is over 100.00 at local parts stores and I searched all the aftermarket companies and they told me you couldn't buy one seperately. Good Luck and post if you do find something.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i got a brass bushing from Eagle cranks. they didn't charge me for it either. so far it's working fineover 3kmiles
Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

$100 for a throwout bearing? I got my whole stock clutch kit including a throwout bushing and throwout bearing for $325. A friend of mine who has been a mechanic for over 40 years said to use the bushing over the bearing because it is less likely to fail so I used the bushing. I still might have the bearing somewhere at my house at home (home is in CT, I'm in WV at college). If you decide to go with the bearing and cant find one reasonably priced send me a pm and I'll see if my brother or someone at home can find it at the house.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
$100 for a throwout bearing? I got my whole stock clutch kit including a throwout bushing and throwout bearing for $325. A friend of mine who has been a mechanic for over 40 years said to use the bushing over the bearing because it is less likely to fail so I used the bushing. I still might have the bearing somewhere at my house at home (home is in CT, I'm in WV at college). If you decide to go with the bearing and cant find one reasonably priced send me a pm and I'll see if my brother or someone at home can find it at the house.
I do agree, it is highway robbery!!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...tNumber=614116

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Displ...ycleCount=2460
Old 02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your TOB is just noisy, you can remove the grease seal with an exacto knife, inspect it and re-pack the ball and race full of grease. If it turns smooth then more than likely its fine.

I recently got my TOB replaced under lifetime warranty from Autozone.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm I didn't realize they are regreasable. I'm going to check availability tonight on the bearing, Autozone's website lists a Hays bearing for $58? That's half the price Advanced Auto is showing.

Quick Reply: LT1 throw out bearing