Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure

Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure

hi , when i re-build my engine it was 60PSI , i sprayed many times and it comes now to 20PSI , when the car is cold 60PSI when it comes hot 20PSI , my cam bearing is Durabond , rods and main bearings is sealed power , why the oil pressure every days coming lower than before ? what should i do ? i forget to say my oil pump is melling
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly doubt it's your bearings. For your oil pressure to drop 40psi as fast as it sounds like it did and for it to be bearing related you'd have to have spun a bearing or something of that nature. If the pressure slowly dropped over time I would say it could have been set up incorrectly and you're wearing into your mains/rods/cam bearings but here again, you'd notice the motor making more and more noise the lower the pressure dropped as your clearances would be opening up. .001" greater clearance can drop your pressure up to 20%. However, as I said before I doubt this is the case but anything is possible I guess if you were spraying the hell out of it.

Was this like an overnight thing? How long did it take to drop from 60 to 20 and was the 60 just after the rebuild on a warm motor or a cold motor? Most would tell you to check your o-ring but if you had good oil pressure initially I wouldn't think it'd be that. You could always check/replace the sending unit, that can send faulty readings as well. Or it could just be your oil pump failing. I would hook up a mechanical gauge and see what your pressure really is and then go from there. Don't trust the gauge on the dash, check it with a mechanical gauge and then go from there.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a new engine? How often/ when was the last time you changed the oil and filter?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

If you want to be sure take the oil filter off and cut it in half with tin snips or anything that won't make shavings

I typ just jab a big screwdriver in the side and open up a hole big enough to look in.

If it is full of metal you know you have a big prob. if not look at the sending unit or pump
Old 02-21-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i say change the oil and filter first, if that doesnt work then your pressure spring in your oil pump may be going out...
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by quick346
If you want to be sure take the oil filter off and cut it in half with tin snips or anything that won't make shavings

I typ just jab a big screwdriver in the side and open up a hole big enough to look in.

If it is full of metal you know you have a big prob. if not look at the sending unit or pump
I agree totally.

Search this Thread