Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring harness questions

I am in the middle of swapping a LS1/4l80e into an 85’ corvette and it is time to address the wiring harness. The swap engine and transmission are out of a 2001 f-body. This setup came complete with a factory wiring harness (that is in great shape) and a computer.

Ideally, I would like to use my wiring harness and have it reworked and my computer reprogrammed.

The issues are that I am not installing a factory LS1. The engine has been over hauled with LS6 intake, 243 heads, light weight valves, 232/234 .595/.598 114 cam, ported oil pump, 180* thermostat, mid length headers (no cats) and a TCI Street fighter 3,200 stall TQ. The car will have the factory 1985 cooling fans (one in front of the radiator, and one behind it). After start up I am planning on adding a 100 HP shot of nitrous and having a dyno-tune done. The NOS and tune are a few months off.

The other issue is that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and on top of that this is my first LS project, and my first fuel injected build. With this said I need something that is easy to install….no spaghetti.

I need to find someone to rework my wiring harness and reprogram my computer that is not going to break the bank.

My research has led me to; Speartech, Fuel Injection Specialties, and Current Performance. If you know of other companies, please let me know.
The question is: Has anyone used these guys, if so what kind of results did you get (Quality, lead-time and price)?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

What year of car is the swap coming from? Was the harness already reworked to control the 80e, along with the segment swap on the computer? If so, I would use what you have, and maybe get a mail order tune, or perferably a local tune done on the car after you get it fired up. You will also need vats removed inorder to start the car.

It really is not all that bad at all to rework the harness for stand alone, just check the stickies or ask for help, I just finished up my swap not too long ago and can help you out.

You will not need any special tools to depin the ECU connectors, its hard on the fingures, but remove the grey plastic covers on the back, then pull the metal cases down the harness a bit, and seperate the rubber seal from the white plastic left over, and finally remove the colored covers on the end of the connectors, you can now remove any wires you do not need. Once your all done removing wires, you can add some silicone to the holes in the rubber seal to seal the connector back up.

Alternative is to leave all the extra wires in the harness, but there is quite a few of them that are not needed anymore. When it comes down to just getting the car to run, as long as the pink wires have 12v switched power, and the orange that run to the ECU have 12v constant, black & black white wires need to be grounded, unless they run back to the PCM (I dont think any do), it should fire when you crank it over with the starter wired with the corvette starter wiring.

I was scared when I jumped into my harness, but got it done, it just takes time, but well worth it money wise.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaxxMitchell
What year of car is the swap coming from? Was the harness already reworked to control the 80e, along with the segment swap on the computer? If so, I would use what you have, and maybe get a mail order tune, or perferably a local tune done on the car after you get it fired up. You will also need vats removed inorder to start the car.

It really is not all that bad at all to rework the harness for stand alone, just check the stickies or ask for help, I just finished up my swap not too long ago and can help you out.

You will not need any special tools to depin the ECU connectors, its hard on the fingures, but remove the grey plastic covers on the back, then pull the metal cases down the harness a bit, and seperate the rubber seal from the white plastic left over, and finally remove the colored covers on the end of the connectors, you can now remove any wires you do not need. Once your all done removing wires, you can add some silicone to the holes in the rubber seal to seal the connector back up.

Alternative is to leave all the extra wires in the harness, but there is quite a few of them that are not needed anymore. When it comes down to just getting the car to run, as long as the pink wires have 12v switched power, and the orange that run to the ECU have 12v constant, black & black white wires need to be grounded, unless they run back to the PCM (I dont think any do), it should fire when you crank it over with the starter wired with the corvette starter wiring.

I was scared when I jumped into my harness, but got it done, it just takes time, but well worth it money wise.
I have searched this fourm and the wiring diagrams I have found are scary. Do you know of anything that shows the wires to remove....Maybe something that has pictures?

Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

what year is the harness/computer? I can help you out with finding what wires are not needed.

Also were you able to find out if the harness came with the conversion for the 4l80 attached to it, or if it has been repinned for the 80e? (should have 2 VSS plugs going to the trans if so along with the large round plug in)

Not sure if you saw this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html
but it has alot of great information that I missed when I did my harness rework.

Best way to handle things on the harness is to do one thing/componenet at a time, and have masking tape/sharpie on hand.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did my harness. a little tedious but if it works when i put it in it was worth it. I dont have an extra $500 and a month to wait to send it off.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaxxMitchell
what year is the harness/computer? I can help you out with finding what wires are not needed.

Also were you able to find out if the harness came with the conversion for the 4l80 attached to it, or if it has been repinned for the 80e? (should have 2 VSS plugs going to the trans if so along with the large round plug in)

Not sure if you saw this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html
but it has alot of great information that I missed when I did my harness rework.

Best way to handle things on the harness is to do one thing/componenet at a time, and have masking tape/sharpie on hand.
So I sent some time at the link you sent me....I'm out. My head is killing me. THanks for the link, but I am going to send mine off.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Wiring harness questions