Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Oil pump cover

Getting ready to degree my cam and I'm going to take off the oil pump cover and the rotor that slides over the crank to be able to use the Comp crank socket to turn the engine over. I dont want to take the pump off unless I have to move the bottom sprocket to degree the cam. Anything I need to look for before I take it apart? Is the their a dot to dot line up or anything odd like that when putting it back together. I took a stock one apart and it looks pretty simple. This a ported Ape pump. Anybody remember Ape and all the trouble they caused for a few unlucky souls?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll answer my own post. I found a thread that Irocss85 (smart guy) created that has some good oil pump info. It look as though it's best to leave the cover off when installing a pump to measure the clearance between the outer gear and the housing to make sure it's even from side to side. Adjust as needed by loosening the 4 bolts that hold it to the engine. Also, the outer gear is chamferred on one side and that needs to point toward the back of the pump. Some gears are marked with a dot on the side opposite of the chamfer, showing that side faces toward the front of the pump. My stock pump has a dot.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ferrerid=13535