Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Is 89% duty cycle over working my injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is 89% duty cycle over working my injectors

Need some answers related to an FI setup I have. Just downloaded my file off my car and efi live showed my injectors at wot at 89% (is this bad) and 20 degrees of timing. I currently have 60 lbs. motorons. This might explain why my fuel pressure drops from 60 psi. to 40 psi. at wot and my afr goes to 9.4 according to efi live. Any comments or help greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefire
Need some answers related to an FI setup I have. Just downloaded my file off my car and efi live showed my injectors at wot at 89% (is this bad) and 20 degrees of timing. I currently have 60 lbs. motorons. This might explain why my fuel pressure drops from 60 psi. to 40 psi. at wot and my afr goes to 9.4 according to efi live. Any comments or help greatly appreciated.
89%DC is fine. Your fuel pressure is dropping due to the fuel pump not keeping up. A 9.4 AFR needs to be retuned....too rich...and a retune to 11.5 AFR will lower the DC on the injectors.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have a boost ref. pressure regulator yet?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onfire
89%DC is fine. Your fuel pressure is dropping due to the fuel pump not keeping up. A 9.4 AFR needs to be retuned....too rich...and a retune to 11.5 AFR will lower the DC on the injectors.
Well, my next question is why my afr is at 9.4 when my fuel pressure is dropping so much? I thought I would be leaning out, instead I'm blowing black smoke out the pipes at wot. Even at idle the stench of fuel is incredible. So would it be an entire new tune or could I just fix some parameters to get it at the right afr. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Tirefire; 02-22-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Do you have a boost ref. pressure regulator yet?
No stock fuel lines/regulator in tank walboro 340 msd boost a pump/hot wired.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:08 AM
12 Second Club

No stock fuel lines/regulator in tank walboro 340 msd boost a pump/hot wired.
Run a return line and boost ref. FPR and youll solve all your FP issues especially at your power level.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Coal Mining Director

Well, my next question is why my afr is at 9.4 when my fuel pressure is dropping so much? I thought I would be leaning out, instead I'm blowing black smoke out the pipes at wot. Even at idle the stench of fuel is incredible. So would it be an entire new tune or could I just fix some parameters to get it at the right afr. Thanks for the help.
Because at your hp level 40 psi is all that's needed to make the afr rich with a tune that is calling for the injectors to be open too long. Sounds like you are less than 650rwhp. If your AFR is accurate, you have enough pump, enough injector and enough fuel line to get an accurate tune and forget about it. A return line with a rail mounted FPR would likely fix the dropping pump pressure, but if you are not going to increase the hp level of the car, you could get by with a proper tune...not optimum...but it would be safe.

BTW, 40psi is "leaning you out" as compared to a system that would maintain 58psi at the rail....put that system on without a new tune and you would go pig rich...under 9.0afr.

All depends on your budget and goals. Rail mounted fpr and a return line is the best way to go...but I ran into the 9's with a proper tune with the factory lines, factory return and a single walbro plus boost a pump on siemens 60's...not the best way to do it...but with a tune that compensates for dropping fp it will work.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

I data logged a pass yesterday with EFI live and it logged my injector DC at 103 with 5.4 of knock. I looked it over and showed bank 1 working at 60% while bank 2 was at 40%. What does all this mean? Keep in mind this is with my AFR going into the 6's. Any comments greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I data logged a pass yesterday with EFI live and it logged my injector DC at 103 with 5.4 of knock. I looked it over and showed bank 1 working at 60% while bank 2 was at 40%. What does all this mean? Keep in mind this is with my AFR going into the 6's. Any comments greatly appreciated.
Since your AFR is going into the 6's you definitely need to lean that out. Like said before - target 11.5 AFR and your DC will come down to a sane level. Too much fuel will cause knock as well so I would worry about your timing until you get the AFR sorted out.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

steps

1. stop what you are doing
2. fix the tune (see above)
3. enjoy
Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

...and my afr goes to 9.4 according to efi live. Any comments or help greatly appreciated.
Just reread your post and it dawned on me that you're talking about the commanded AFR from EFILive (comes from the PCM). Ideally this matches the REAL AFR, but only after getting tuned. I hope you aren't tuning a FI car without a wideband? If so I wouldn't go into boost until you get one and see whats your AFR is really doing.