General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

annoying noise during take off

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying noise during take off

hi guys/gals, i have a bit of a problem and was wondering if anyone can answer. i drive a 2000 camaro ss m6 and i recently just got some work done on my car. i got a spec stage 2+ cluch, a spec fly wheel, rear main seal replacement, slave cyl and a few other repairs to the car. im not sure if any of this info has to do with the problem, but i figured i would put it just incase lol. i have put about 2k miles on the clutch, and i noticed that when i take off(not hard, as if i were to race, but just normal) my car makes this very annoying squeeling sound that sounds like metal rubbing(in my opinion the best way to describe the noise haha) its really annoying and i was wondering if there is something wrong? or if this kind of thing happens from time to time? this car is my first stick, and this is my first clutch replacement(the guy that drove the car b4 me was a retard and treated the car like ****)but i have been driving the car for over a year now so i dont think its my driving. but i am new to this stuff. if any one has an idea plz help!
thx!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
wrencher

Is the noise associated with the release of the clutch pedal, or the the car moving?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:19 PM

it makes the noise when the car first starts to move, but only for that time where the clutch catches and the car is moving. it doesnt make the noise ne other time. could it be the friction disks?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Can you describe the noise in more detail? I'm thinking it may be your Y-Pipe hitting the undercarriage, but we need more info.
For example, do you hear the noise if you get the car rolling in 1st gear and allow it to coast (at idle RPM)? What about if you allow the car to roll in 1st for a while, but then suddenly "punch it"? Does it make noise then?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM

umm. well the noise only happens during the time im letting out the clutch during take off. like i guess that it makes the noise when the clutch is catching. haha i wish i knew how to post like a video or something lol. it never makes the noise any other time, only during the initial take off. if this helps any, when in the car the noise seems to be definatly coming from the front of the car, er at least thats what it seems like. does this help? if not plz ask more questions so i can try to answer them lol. i wanna nip this thing asap haha
Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Teching In

I get the same thing. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's my exhaust. We had some bad weather last month and some of this month and there was a bit of snow on the ground. Sometimes going over bumps I would hear my exhaust banging the undercarriage. I'm thinking I might have popped a bushing off or something, possibly causing my exhaust to rub, or something...you get my drift. But I'm almost positive thats what the sound is. I could be entirely wrong though, but I've never had a car make a noise like this from the transmission. I have had them make it from the exhaust being goofy though.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Staging Lane

I'm leaning towards the Y-pipe rubbing upwards and hitting your undercarriage. The reason is because I recently did similiar work to my car and found this to be the problem. I believe the problem is that weak motor mounts become stretched and torn when the work was done on the back of the motor (rear main seal, new clutch, etc).

When I performed the same job (in January), my motor was no longer supported at the rear and was held solely by the motor mounts. This causes the motor to angle downward and puts stress on the motor mounts. This causes any weaknesses in the rubber mounts to become further degraded. So, once everything is put back into place (tranny back in) the weak mounts allow the motor to move just slightly more than before the work was performed. This in turn allows the Y-pipe to move a little more than before and it can hit against the undercarriage, causing the "metal rubbing" noise you talk about.

A quick way to diagnose, is to take a short lenth of 2X4 (maybe 6 inches) and wedge it between the Y-pipe and the undercarriage of the car on the driver's side (since this is the natural rotation direction of the motor) and go for a quick drive. See if the noise goes away. If so, then new motor mounts are in order.

Of couse, it could be something else, but I'd start with the easiest things first...and this is a pretty simple way to confirm if your problem is with the Y-pipe.

Good luck and let us know your findings.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:42 PM

thanks for the input, i'll try that out and see if it stops the noise. if u guys have any other ideas plz post them, i'd like to hear them
Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Just my .02, but I think the y-pipe issue mentioned above would cause more of a knocking or banging noise, and should happen anytime you get on the gas, not only when releasing the clutch. It definatly sounds like a clutch related issue to me, if it only happenes when you're slipping froma dead start. I think it sounds like it might be something like a rivet or bolt or something has worked itself loose on the friction disk or pressure plate and is rubbing the flywheel when youre slipping the clutch. Possibly a slave cylinder or pilot bushing, you have to think of what parts are moving at different speeds from each other when the pedal is pressed down. it's tough though without actually hearing it ourselves.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too think if its a squeal it would be a bushing or bearing of some kind, not Y pipe banging on bottom of car. Pilot bearing maybe.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Either that or it could be as simple as a cracked pulley
Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM

hmm. ya know, i am kinda new to this stuff and all the info is appreciated i havent had a chance to look at ne thing cuz of work if you guys think it has to do with a bearing or what not, should i take it back to where it was worked on and have them take a look?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2kcamaross
hmm. ya know, i am kinda new to this stuff and all the info is appreciated i havent had a chance to look at ne thing cuz of work if you guys think it has to do with a bearing or what not, should i take it back to where it was worked on and have them take a look?
For sure, it wouldnt hurt to at least have them take a listen to whats going on in there