LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How hard is head porting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard is head porting?

Hey guys I have to take my heads off. So how hard is it to port heads?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about $1200 LE / AI
Old 02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you're asking us how hard it is to port the heads then you're better off leaving them to someone else who knows what theyre doing
Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

leave it to the pro's
Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

well this is the first time removing heads. I would at least like to try to gasket match
Old 02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

to gasket match use the gaskets your gonna use. put blue dykem on the heads tape the gaskets in place, scribe the ports around the gaskets remove gaskets and take a die grinder to them. have a shop vac laying next to the port running and wear a filter mask. grinf the metal down to the scrribe marks and blend back into the ports. ,there is alot more than that to it. and thats not gonna give you any noticeable gains, you prolly actually just mess them up, no offense. i would recomend if your wantin to try this to do it on a set off damged heads that are gonna be tossed
Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
if you're asking us how hard it is to port the heads then you're better off leaving them to someone else who knows what theyre doing
I agree
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx

There ya go I wouldn't recommend doing anything else other than cleaning up the bowls/ports and gasket matching just because you start to effect the flow characteristics too much.

Btw, go to the junkyard and grab a set of heads to practice before working on your own.

Last edited by TasTe_GOOD; 02-22-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: btw
Old 02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

alright looks like ill leave them alone or give them to my friends who know how to do it
Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when you read up on DIY porting one of the first things they say is do not gasket match...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gasket matching is not hard to do since the average depth is 1.5 - 2" in. with that said why limit yourself to just a port match and this is where an experienced hand comes into play. you have to know where to touch up,where to leave alone you raise the roof and leave the floor alone. i would advise you to send them out to the previously mentioned machinists to get them done nicely for a nice price.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

do yourself a favor and listen to all the previous, dont do it yourself and these friends you are taking them to to get them ported i hope they do this on a regular basis it really isn a shadetree mechanics forte here your gonna want experienced hands doing this kind of work
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Usually when you read up on DIY porting one of the first things they say is do not gasket match...
why would you not gasket match? never heard that one b4
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
why would you not gasket match? never heard that one b4
There is very little to be gain in gasket matching, the power is in the bowl area, short turn & roof.

Before i would let my friends start whittling away at my heads, they BEST know what they are doing, there is nothing wrong with learning how to port heads, you just need to get a spare set & practice 1st., do LOTS of reading, & practice, a flow bench comes in VERY handy also, so if your very handy/steady with your hands, i say give it a try, it'll be messy, get some good cutting bits & sandpaper rolls, take your time, you'll know in the 1st. hour or 2 if this is for you, i did a set of BB Mopar iron heads, had a good 25+ hrs. in them, I'll never do that again , what a bitch, but i will tackle aluminums, my work paid off, i gained 44 CFM on the int., & 49 CFM on the exh. The mid-level lift. #s were strong, but they fell off at around .550 lift. sharply, this is to be exspected on these heads, only gained very little from .550 too .600 lift., get you some "how to" porting books on the LT1 head, start reading before you start grinding.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

ok.i got ya. but when porting the bowl area , gasket matching becomes more helpful.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
ok.i got ya. but when porting the bowl area , gasket matching becomes more helpful.
Yes & no, it never hurts gasket matching, but you want to do the intake as well, every little bit helps, but gasket matching is the least of the gains, the biggest gains will be in the "bowls".. DO NOT gasket match the exhaust ports, leave those be.

Also remember, all that port work WILL NOT pay off without a top notch valve job, a good "back-cut" on the valves is also very benificial, so get that done as well.

Last edited by LM97Z; 02-23-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to try your hand at porting, I suggest finding some junk heads (cracked or overly warped) and practice on them. Make sure they're aluminum though as porting cast iron will be fairly different due to the harder metal, like crushing an aluminum can with your hands, such as beer, vs a "tin" can (actually not tin anymore heh).

It's actually pretty fun if you have the patience, but you can easily screw something up if you're not careful! Make a wall too thin or take too much off in a certain area that could make the air flow worse by creating a low/high pressure pocket (total educated guess, but I think theoretically it's possible). The most head work I've done was just mostly cleaning up casting imperfections and kind of doing a polish job. I mean I didn't use any polishing bits, all I was doing was smoothing the walls of the intake and exhaust since they were kind of bumpy (cast iron heads). Then on my TPI motor I did some upper plenum work for the 58mm and also since I had plans to run the SLP runners, but never got around to getting them.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

get an extra set of heads (like everyone else said)

get the proper cutting tools (cutting bits, sandpaper rolls, etc etc etc etc)

set alot of time out to do the porting part

just try to gasket match and make things as even as possible, any inconsistencies here is a huge problem. keeping the port shape the same but just expanding it slightly is the overall goal.

and again, schedule alot of time for this.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know a few people who paid cylinder head shops to gasket match their heads and they barely made more power than with stockers but were out some money for the work.

like stated above, porting can take a while. I know people who spent weeks working on a pair
Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
get the proper cutting tools (cutting bits, sandpaper rolls, etc etc etc etc)
Yes! Don't use cast iron bits on aluminum! They'll clog up and you'll spend more time cleaning out the aluminum from the bits than porting the heads lol

Quick Reply: How hard is head porting?