Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Misfires After Engine Swap

Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Misfires After Engine Swap

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but didn't see a better place. Mods please move if necessary.

So, my buddy has an '03 Tahoe and replaced his engine. He had a 5.3L and bought an engine off E-bay from a junk yard out of Washington state. It was apparently a new take out and was supposed to be a 5.3L from an '03 also. After getting it in his Tahoe, he realised the intake was a little different and the injectors had different clips, so he swapped his old fuel rails and injectors onto the new. He also believes it to actually be a 6.0L as he found 6.0 cast into the block.
Anyway, he got the engine in and started it and he said it idled very smooth. After it warmed up, he gave it some gas and apparently it started running like crap from then on. He says that it also started sounding like it had lifter noise (misfire? detonation?). He pulled codes and it had one for random misfires.

I'm going over to see if I can figure anything out Tuesday night, and need some ideas what to look for. He has double checked that he didn't miss hooking anything back up, checked spark plugs and replaced them, and even pulled connectors and checked for damage and proper fit.
Would a 6.0L be different enough in running parameters than a 5.3L, that the 5.3L computer couldn't handle it?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Corey
Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone? Or a better place to ask?

Search this Thread