LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

700R4 monster tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 monster tranny

hello everybody, im thinking about going with the 700R4 ss mega monster from monster transmissions in florida, theyre built for 650hp, I was just wondering if anybody here has had any experience with this company, just looking for some feedback....
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you fish??
If so maybe you will understand this explaination.
You think fish can really see all the colors and such lures come in or do you think lures are more designed to catch fisherman's wallets??

Same thing is happening here, lots more marketing than quality goes into that tranny.

Lots of cheap tranny shops out there, they are not cheap in the longrun and they often get good feed back because it takes time for their junk to fail and the feedback all happens in a few months after delivery.

First tranny I had rebuilt was a local reputable shop $1700 installed and got 16 months out of it behind a max of 260rwhp, then I had ProBuilt Automatics build me one, I paid about the same price but had to install it myself, car has been making more like 400rwhp for just about 3 years now and this tranny is now over 5 years old still working great, so it is a LOT cheaper like 1/4th the price over time sofar and that number keeps comin down the longer it lasts.

FLT and Rossler are two more very good builders for these transmissions.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Do you fish??
If so maybe you will understand this explaination.
You think fish can really see all the colors and such lures come in or do you think lures are more designed to catch fisherman's wallets??

Same thing is happening here, lots more marketing than quality goes into that tranny.

Lots of cheap tranny shops out there, they are not cheap in the longrun and they often get good feed back because it takes time for their junk to fail and the feedback all happens in a few months after delivery.

First tranny I had rebuilt was a local reputable shop $1700 installed and got 16 months out of it behind a max of 260rwhp, then I had ProBuilt Automatics build me one, I paid about the same price but had to install it myself, car has been making more like 400rwhp for just about 3 years now and this tranny is now over 5 years old still working great, so it is a LOT cheaper like 1/4th the price over time sofar and that number keeps comin down the longer it lasts.

FLT and Rossler are two more very good builders for these transmissions.
Spot-on.

CPT is also quickly becoming well-known as being a good builder for the 700R/4L60. I'll be going with them for my build.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

There are two different CPTs.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

like caprice said many shady transmission shops. from what I've seen on a local level 3 out of 4 "Performance" builds end up being rip offs with stock parts in them

I wasted time and money going to shops that screwed me over, finally dropped $2k on a reputable shop to build me one and I've had zero problems since. first 2 "built" transmissions lasted less than 8 months each in a fairly mild setup

alot of the time it's not the builder being a genius with transmissions just being an honest person that gives you quality parts and the one's promissed
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a local friend build mine for me for around $900 bucks, he told me if I had anything more than 600 hp, then I shouldn't have overdrive, just for the sake if it lasting for a while. He builds transmissions for a bunch of people in the 7's and 8's at the quarter mile, so he really likes powerglides and th350 or 400s. I was going to go with the CPT in New Jersey, it would have taken too long, but was not a bad price at all.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

The 4L60e in COMPETENT hands can handle 9s, even in a b-body. Been done.

This tranny does NOT need parts thrown at it, it needs a skilled assembler who takes the time to set it up well checking clearances.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

what I meant was that most transmission failures I've seen were due to parts of inferior quality, didn't mean that anyone with a 4l60e rebuild kit could accomplish it
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.cahallperformancetransmissions.com/ is the CPT I am referring to.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would prefer to go local or semi-local, if some thing happens, chances are if they want to make it right with you, their going to want and see what failed. So unless you enjoy shipping cores, thats some thing you may want to consider.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The 4L60e in COMPETENT hands can handle 9s, even in a b-body. Been done.

This tranny does NOT need parts thrown at it, it needs a skilled assembler who takes the time to set it up well checking clearances.
Agreed, by and large the parts run down on most what these guys use in their builds are fairly identical to one another. Some builders just have more experience in making them live and also having an owner that is realistic and can maintain their stuff is important.

Quick Reply: 700R4 monster tranny