LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sell The Camaro...Pick Up The 66 Elco...

Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sell The Camaro...Pick Up The 66 Elco...

this is gonna be long so dont bash on me! thanks

im gonna be 21 years old in may ive had 22 cars since i was 15 i enjoy buying and selling cars and making money off it but i havent had the chance to have a car for myself while still buying and selling cars on the side

so as of right now i just bought this 1993 camaro 6 speed with 111k miles its really clean runs great but im kinda bored with it this is my 4th f-body car and i miss my 63 nova im trying to figure out what car to keep for myself so i was thinking!! =]

me and my dad got this 1966 el camino when i was 9 and he started teaching me how to work on cars with that car and 10 years down the road he said i can Finally have it but the catch is that i have to pay him 4 grand because he has money into it and so does his wife and also the big block 509 thats in it now stays with him and i have to put my own motor in it...in the end either way its worth it and ive been waiting for this car since i was 9 haha...the car is just sitting in his garage with a bunch of junk around it and a car cover over it and i really have been wanting to get it!

>>>(This is my question in case you wanted to skip the BS =])

so because he is keeping the big block i dont really want something that big to drive around in and i plan on driving it alot more then he has ever since we pulled the 327 out and put this gas sucking hog in ... what is REALLY! like to do is put a LS motor in it (LS1 LS2 LS6 *LS7* >k im dreaming now<) but i cant afford it and so my options are a small block 350 with a mild build or a LT1 motor

what motor would you put in it? it needs to be reliable but i still want it to be fast .. also id like it to look clean under the hood so the least amount of crap .. the better! so maybe even put a carb on the lt1? or would that kill my MPG?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

OH YEAH! about the car... it wont need anything other then a motor and radiator the drive shaft was custom made it has a 12 bolt rear end with 373 gears 4 wheel disc brakes hes leaving me the fully built turbo 400 and a 4000 stall (ill put a smaller one in) aftermarket sway bars lowering springs aftermarket control arms right side rear end air bag dual 3" exhaust x pipe etc....
Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Launching!

I'd honestly stay carbed for simplicity's sake. Adding a fuel injection is gonna require alot of new wires (read more **** under the hood) and you might have to make some changes to your fuel system (not sure of your setup). If you were to swap a modern motor in I know there are a few swap kits out there to make it as easy as possible. I just dont think its worth it considering the bang for the buck you can get with an old school small block.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

what about taking a lt1 and putting a carb on it? that would still make good power right?

its cheaper to put a lt1 motor in my elco then to build a small block 350 esp a full roller motor thats gonna be reliable plus a lt1 motor would be easy to do heads and cam on it later on and make 400hp and it would still be reliable ...

only reason why im leaning towards a lt1 motor is because im going to be driving the car a lot and all my past old school small blocks seem to always have problems after i do heads and cam etc (or maybe im just not great at building motors haha)
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hit the salvage yard in search of a 6.0L from a truck Lq9 or Lq4 get a plug-n-play harness from speartech,swap the intake to a Ls1 or Ls6 so you can have the hood clearance,modify the exhaust,run EFI fuel system and be done
carbs should not even be a consideration
Old 02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that elco is clean tell pops to leave the motor in there
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

I bet that thing hates tires! Ditto on the LQ9 just an all around better setup, however I would do a 6-speed swap also, but that is just me.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

its just money is a issue right now... i have a 400 small block sitting in the garage that needs to be rebuilt so maybe a mild build on that would be good enough for now? would the 6 speed bolt up to the old school motors and how hard is it to do the clutch pedal and stuff ?

here is a video from a looonnng time ago when we first put the motor in we we were still kinda breaking it in haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMsWPFULbk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sell The Camaro...Pick Up The 66 Elco...