Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E longevity questions - NON Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 4L60E longevity questions - NON Fbody

My daily driver now is a 2001 4x4 Blazer with 144k on it. Now the trans still shifts good, no slippage at all, but I want to try to make it last as long as possible, now that this is my daily driver. I will be installing a trans cooler, but I have a few other questions:

1 - I have heard of both the Corvette Servo as well as the Sonnax servo. Would simply going to the Corvette servo be good enough, or would the nearly $90 more for the Sonnax servo be worth it?

2 - Would a shift kit help, or would a simple tune with the upgraded servo be enough?

3 - What is the best fluid to go with in these transmissions?

4 - Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would do a trans cooler and a deep pan, don't worry about a billet servo, if you want to replace yours just go with the corvette, as the billet would shorten the life if anything of the trans.

As far as trans fluid, i don't think it really matters.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

I'll just do the Vette servo then. With regards to fluid, would a good Dex IV synthetic be good, or is Dex III conventional better with these trans? (I'm a manual guy, so auto's are new to me)
Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Save your money. Up here in Michigan we see these things every day. Making them last is easy. Cange the ATF every 20-25,000 miles, if it's a daily driver-no towing, wheeling, abuse, etc. A cooler helps if you are going to mildly work it every now and then. Odds are you may have the correct sevo already in it. We usually see these vehicles come in around 150,000 miles on average when they burn up. Most are NOT taken care of very well. If you feel so inclined to install a "reprogram kit", get the TransGo or Superior kit. I like the TransGo kit as it has the ISO valve, (P1870 Code), in case of Lock Up failure. If you are going that far, replace the plastic accumulators. Properly maintained, these units do fine on their own. Use the Mercon III and you will be fine.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

my bravada blew a gasket and the tranny still works at 160,000 miles. bump to 50!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

I'm definitely going to install the cooler and might as well do the Vette servo since it is so cheap and not very time consuming. Only the F-bodies and Vettes came with it, no Blazer/S10's had them. So if these 4L60E's last pretty well with just regular fluid/filter changes, then that's the route I will probably go, no use spending money now if it is unnecessary. Are synthetic fluids better in these trans like they are in the engine? (I run Mobil 1 oil in this and the TA)

I wanted to steer away from the shift kit for now if possible, just because I hear it takes 4-5 hours to install, and I won't really need it until I eventually start trailer'ing' my TA to say autox or road races....first I have to rebuild the motor of course, lol.

Or will reprogramming the PCM do basically the same thing as a shift kit by upping the pressure and shift points when that time comes? I know some people tune their Blazer's PCM's for a few extra hp/tq out of the ol 4.3L.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

Dont run synthetic, just change the fluid, filter and throwing a cooler on it (non tube fin type) will keep it happy...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I put a corvette servo, corvette 1-2ift spring, took the valve body out and installed a stiffer spring for the TC lock up. So it goes from 0-100% lock up. No slippage. when I got it with 86,000 miles, I wanted it to last a few more years. Currently have 240,500, And I tow, offroad quite a bit. But I also installed a drain plug so I pull it every 10k which will drain 3 qts.

But I also drive around in 3rd gear most of the time. Only in the city and up hills. That'll help save your trans. Only use OD when you know you'll be on a flat road and be able to hit 55. 4th gears are weak so the less it shifts into it, the better. Also when you command 3rd it applys more pressure, reducing slippage, and shifting alittle firmer. GM does that because your supposed to tow in 3rd obviously.

My brother has a 94 S10 4wd 4.3 HO.also,he bought it with 207,000 miles, original drivetrain. Only thing we upgraded was the 1-2 shift spring like i did. No servo or anything, and somehow that truck managed to get to it's current mileage of 395,000. And that trucks been run hard. But maintenance helps.

If anything I'd pull the valve body out and change that little spring. From the factory they really slip the tc while locking in. Which I think i one of the weak links on the s-series trans. I know from 95-00? they had problems with the valve bodies. So the fix was to bore out the cylinder (if needed) and install a stiffer spring as I did. My borthers 94 was before the EC3 system, I think they called it. Which goes from 0-100% lock up. Theres proof right there that 0-100% lock up will prolong the life of the converter. Damn near 400k

Quick Reply: 4L60E longevity questions - NON Fbody