Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Passenger side turning/daytime running light problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Passenger side turning/daytime running light problem

So my right blinker wasnt working so i replaced all the bulbs on the passenger side of the car but i noticed the daytime running/ turning signal socket was basiclly rusted and falling apart. the light just stays on when i try to use the turn signal and i dont know what else to do. anyone? should i replace that front wiring socket or not? thanks guys.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

my car does this when it wants to be pissy. the only i do to remedy the problem is pull the plug from the housing, remove the bulb and blow out any dirt/dust/debris you see in there. It seems to work after that. It's more of an in-frequent annoyance than anything else. but if your plug itself is rusted through and falling apart, than by all means, replace the faulty part.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace the plug if it is rusted and u are having probs
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just fixed the same problem today. its your socket. i went to a junk yard and got one. there like 50 from advance. i want to say it came out of a camaro taillight but im not 100% sure.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Socket could have corrosion around it, or if both sides were doing it it would be a flasher issue. If it was a flasher issue I would suggest a electric one which would fix that problem also.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

fccs: newb question...please elaborate on electric flasher?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

He meant "electronic"... all flashers are "electric". The factory flasher is thermal/mechanical. Its flash rate will change depending on how much load (bulb count) is attached. When a bulb burns out, the load is no longer sufficient to make the contacts in the flasher break so the turn signal on that side will go on but not flash.

An electronic flasher flashes at the same rate regardless of load (up to its rated maximum). That gives the advantage of turn signals continuing to function even with a burned out bulb and it makes the use of LED lamps (with their extremely low current draw) possible. However, you lose any indication that a bulb isn't working.

Of course, the flasher isn't the issue in this case since one side still works. Both side turn signals run off a single flasher so if one side works, the flasher isn't the problem. I suspect that replacing the corroded socket will take care of the problem. Replacing the flasher with an electronic one would make both sides flash because it will ignore the lack of current on one side but you'll still have that front lamp not working.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

I had to replace my socket also. It is a common problem due to the fact that those sockets plug in from the bottom and the water that gets in the housing goes right to the socket.
I took out both housings and drilled some small holes near the socket hole to let the housing drain. Difficult to get to but it will pay off.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Ah, Thank WhiteBird!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

There is a writeup around here somewhere about replacing that socket. It is complete with a part number from AutoZone. It is only about a $5 part. It is an easy fix and you do not have to cut the wires. I will look for the writeup.

It was actually over on ls2

Here is the write up

Part number 85881 from AutoZone.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 03-04-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like it is the same socket as the camaro uses. Don't bother asking the guys at the counter for a turn signal socket, their computer shows none It is a standard GM socket, you can find it on the rack down the lighting aisle.

You bird guys aren't the only one who have socket issues. DRL/signal sockets go in from the top on the camaros, so the bulb heat cooks the sockets. I just replaced both of my front turn signal sockets as they were toast and wouldn't hold a bulb anymore.

Why didn't GM put the socket from the back so neither water nor heat would cook them