Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Texas-Speed H/C packages..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions about Texas-Speed H/C packages..

I'm not exactly a car genius and need some help on understanding what I'm looking at..

Income tax is in and I'm ready to get some heads and swap cams. I somewhat understand cams with the lift, duration, and lsa's. Clueless when it comes to a set of heads.

Simply what I want is a car that will run low 7's in the 1/8 that I can drive to the track with no worries. Strongly thinkin of going with the trak cam too.. Is this possible? And also to get these numbers, will I need to have a "looser" converter?

Texas-Speed sells packages and I think I want to go with them. They have PRC stg 1.0 ls6 heads, PRC stg 2.5 5.3L heads, and PRC stg 2.5 LS6 heads. What does all this mean?? I understand to get the most out of the heads, they will probably have to be worked. Whick one of these provides a good base and possibly wouldn't need those extra dollars, if any?

Ryan
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my understanding is the higher the stage, the more the heads have been worked/machined. if you get something thats stage 2.5 i highly doubt you will need to do any work to them. They are meant to be put on out of the box with no other work needed. my pick would be the ls6 stage 2.5, those you could probably bolt on with an ms3 or bigger and full bolt ons and hit mid 7's easy with your gear and maybe a bigger stall. if you want to hit low 7's though, you are looking at a 10 second car or close to, which is possible but you might want to do some internal motor work considering you are gonna need around 500 horse to go 10's. 500 horse with the stock bottom end is possible but you are talking about a serious build and will need the absolute best of everything if you wanna keep your stock bottom. that means gettin rid of the ls6 intake for a fast 90/90 a 4000+ stall the heads above and a track cam. It still may be possible without those extras, but if you wanna be sure you should do it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

as stated the "stage" is an indication of the amount of work the heads have.

BUT....stage 2 from one company could be equal to stage 3 from another, which could be equal to stage 1.5 from another...etc.

you should really match your setup...cam to heads. although companies have taken alot of the work out of the equation by matching up several cams to several different heads. they will work very well together, but not always perfect.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

That was kinda my understanding of them with the "stages". I still thought though you would have to send them off, and the stages just meant how much work could be done..

As far as hitting mid 7's with that setup, I don't think that should be a problem at all. It BETTER be much better if I spend that kind of money. The reason I say that is because I ran a 7.64 with my current set up last season. The new setup should be making alot more power. Probably even go with a bigger stall..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a bit confused. Why are you only shooting for mid 7s in the 1/8th? I ran a 7.60 with bolt-ons (no headers). Yes, I had good air but still a good e.t..
Go for low 7s at least with H/C/ set-up.
Am I missing something?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omcar
I'm a bit confused. Why are you only shooting for mid 7s in the 1/8th? I ran a 7.60 with bolt-ons (no headers). Yes, I had good air but still a good e.t..
Go for low 7s at least with H/C/ set-up.
Am I missing something?

I am shooting for low 7's. Mid 7's is what I ran with mods in sig.. If I spend that kind of money and can't get a low 7, I'll probably hang myself.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good..