Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about intakes

When I bought my car it had the SLP intake on it an I've noticed a lot of you guys run the SLP. Im just curious if its the best thing to run or why more of you dont run cold air intakes
Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

well what do you mean slp intake? is it just a ls6 intake? or do you mean the air box lid? if you mean the lid it cause the stock lids have a lot of restriction to where the slp lid is just open. great cheap upgrade.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

yea I mean the air box lid.... what is the best cold air intake to get?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

alot of guys DO run cold air intakes.

FTRA and SSRA are probably more popular than the SLP.

although some still freak out at the thought of hydrolocking the engine.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

a lid is a lid. slp isnt better or worse than any of the others. and it is a cold air anyways - it pulls the air in from outside of the engine bay. just stick with what you have. i'd put your money int the exhaust if its stock.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car came with the K&N FIPK, a lot of people here say it's garbage cuz the filter oil gets on your maf, but i haven't had a problem with it.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
my car came with the K&N FIPK, a lot of people here say it's garbage cuz the filter oil gets on your maf, but i haven't had a problem with it.
...and to them I say "ditch the MAF and run speed density".

I don't have the K&N system, I have an SLP lid and SLP filter...but it's the same principle, I use K&N filter oil on it every time I clean it. I never had a problem with my MAF as a direct result of the filter oil...I think some guys might go a little overboard with the oil after a cleaning...I've been running cotton filters on GM's with MAF's (LT1's, LS1's and an LQ4) for 9 years now...never had an issue with that.

My issue with the MAF is it's not a straight piece of pipe...it's not THAT restrictive...but it's not a straight pipe...and with the 99+ PCM...if you are a good tuner, you just don't need it (so mine is gone now).

As for which cold air to run...I have the SLP (I did the whole SLP system because I got it for a very very good price). I'm very happy with it, and I put 55K miles on the car in 1 year, in every weather you could think of, and never had any water in the engine issues...it's NOT hanging low enough for that...and there's too many ways for the engine to wind up getting air instead of water.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 02-25-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys...

I'll look into prices for intakes a little more an I am running exhaust thats why I asked about intakes I'm also running a set of mid length headers a Y pipe into magnaflow just a pretty common exhaust wish it had long tube headers though
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

All the lids of equal size are about the same. However, the finish on the SLP is alot nicer than some of the others. I would run the SLP or find something else on a big motor car.