Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-3 shift hittin limiter @ WOT, brought shift point down

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-3 shift hittin limiter @ WOT, brought shift point down

Okay so i did a little searching but ever since the big site work was doen i cant really find any of the old threads that help my issue. My problem is at WOT on the track my 1-2 shift happens just fine but the 2-3 shift will bang off the limiter before making the shift. Most of the old posts that i came across said to try backing the shift point down a little to see if that helps. I have tried this and had to bring the shift command all the way down to 5100 in the kickdown rpm table. I also brought the speed way down to about 40mph, so i know that the speed command is being met so that's not causing the issue. What mechanically could be causing this issue. As i said i have the command set to 5100 but the shift isnt happening untill 6000-6050 at WOT, partial throttle driving is just fine. the transmission is a 4l60e supposedly it has had a performance rebuild but i have not been into the trans to verify. What do i need to check to make sure that the trans isn't going to fail, and is there something i can fix now before it becomes costly.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure fluid is full and tranny is warm, my tranny doesnt like to shift where it is suppose to when cold as in below 150 or so.

other than that def a mech. issue but i cant tell you with accuracy on what it is.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

what are you tuning/changing it with? also is it on the car in your sig or another?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
make sure fluid is full and tranny is warm, my tranny doesnt like to shift where it is suppose to when cold as in below 150 or so.

other than that def a mech. issue but i cant tell you with accuracy on what it is.

i will check the fluid thanks, i knw the trans is warmed up, i drive the car to the track so i dont think that is the issue

Originally Posted by SD99TA214
what are you tuning/changing it with? also is it on the car in your sig or another?
using Tuner Cats for the tuning, droping the shift point 100 rpm at a time in the kick down mode rpm table, have to drop it all the way down to 5100 before it will shift without hitting the 6k revlimiter too bad

Thanks guys, i'll post up about the fluid, any other ideas?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

not familiar with tuner cats.....i have hptuners, this happend to me one time, i was messing with my shift speeds at part throttle and wot. some how i got my car itting second fine and popping the limiter on the 2-3 shift.i couldnt figure out what the deal was i tried peramiters that made sense.....someone told me thet my trany was on the verge of going out. .........i re installed a older tune, that i had copied to create a backup prior to playing around (just in case), and it shifted perfect. guess that while playing with the shift points and shift speeds i had got them outa wack (not sure what in wack is) so maybe, you can back pedal some how. but i wouldnt be so quick to blame the tranny if your thinking thats the culprit. just saying, keep your options open. GL
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Does this happen on the street or only at the track?

Last time I was at the track I had the same issue with the 2-3 shift (couple bangs off limiter than shifted). On the street (WOT) it never happens.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SD99TA214
not familiar with tuner cats.....i have hptuners, this happend to me one time, i was messing with my shift speeds at part throttle and wot. some how i got my car itting second fine and popping the limiter on the 2-3 shift.i couldnt figure out what the deal was i tried peramiters that made sense.....someone told me thet my trany was on the verge of going out. .........i re installed a older tune, that i had copied to create a backup prior to playing around (just in case), and it shifted perfect. guess that while playing with the shift points and shift speeds i had got them outa wack (not sure what in wack is) so maybe, you can back pedal some how. but i wouldnt be so quick to blame the tranny if your thinking thats the culprit. just saying, keep your options open. GL
No it isnt the tune, i got a load it your self tune from PCM for Less (ended up being pretty much the same as i made except the timing was a little off) and the PCM4less tune did it too, he had the shift points set at 5400 and when i brought it down to 5100 it gives it enough time to slip up to the shift, looking at my datamaster logs you can clearly see where the shift is comanded at 5100 but watching the tach and following the rpm curves on the log it doesnt actually make the shift till 6k

Originally Posted by medwar11
Does this happen on the street or only at the track?

Last time I was at the track I had the same issue with the 2-3 shift (couple bangs off limiter than shifted). On the street (WOT) it never happens.
no just at the track, and doesnt seem to matter if it is on motor or bottle, it shifts the same either way, on the street it shifts just fine. Any one got any ideas why? I really dont want the trans blowing up if there is something i can fix cheaper now, lol
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by evilbeef54
no just at the track, and doesnt seem to matter if it is on motor or bottle, it shifts the same either way, on the street it shifts just fine. Any one got any ideas why? I really dont want the trans blowing up if there is something i can fix cheaper now, lol
This is the same thing that happened to me. I haven't been to the track in awhile so I'm not positive it still does, but its likely.

Could it be due to the stickier surface and tires? Someone mentioned this to me before.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

I had a similar issue to that but with a problem in the 1-2 bogging or not shifting, the the 2-3 hitting the limiter. I Believe it is the tune, i have to get the car back up to the tuner soon to run the problem live while hooked up to HP tuners.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Launching!

I didn't have the problem until I installed the headers and my buddy played with the tune (shift points etc, no a/f). I'm hoping its just the tune and a professional one will solve the issue. Sounds like SD99TA214's story above.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

do you know where he set your shift rpm/speed to? I'm fairly sure its not the tune because the professionally done pcm4less tune did it too, and brian over there said that if i have to bring the commanded point down that low that there could be a mechanical issue

Last edited by evilbeef54; 02-24-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

checked fluid level it is fine and fluid looks good
Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

Mine does it one the street. Everytime I go WOT it will bang the 2-3 shift. Fluid is full and still in good condition. Maybe its my converter? Is having a really loose converter a problem that could cause this? I have no idea, just throwing that out there.

BTW: If I ease off the throttle and get right back in it, it will shift.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

yeah if i lift it will shift, but having to lift to shift isn't exactally cool in the 1/4, i'd rather get it working right, lol
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah same here. I gotta start a New thread so I don't jack yours .
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

jack away if it is the same exact problem, so reason to have several threads, plus then we can compile all the suggestions/trouble shooting in one place
Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The 4l60s take longer to shift 2-3, because more stuff has to happen in the trans in order for that shift to happen. Yours seems like its taking a while though, just keep moving the shift rpm/speed down til it shifts where you want it.

On a side note, I've seen some recommend putting the shifter in '3' until it shifts into second then move the shifter into 'D' before it shifts to third. I've never tried that, but someone said it worked for them.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

Here's a video on mine, let me know what you think?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

I'll just bring my problem in here if its cool with you .

Everytime I go WOT my car will bang the 2-3 shift. Transmission fluid is full and still good. My converter is really loose, hopefully going to a built transmission and new converter soon. Anyway, I notice that when I get on it the RPM's jump from around 2800 to 5500 and its like the car isn't even moving like it just blows through the gears. Tuner had also played around with the shift points and etc.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same problem and had it for a while now, only i do think is my tranny for the reason that when the car is cold, 2-3rd goes in like it should but with a slight delay... when the car is at normal warm temp.... 2-3 shift hits limiter... also... when tranny is place in 3rd (D) i have bad vibration in the tranny... wich i read here that it might be clutches slipping...

Quick Reply: 2-3 shift hittin limiter @ WOT, brought shift point down