Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To pull the engine or not... that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To pull the engine or not... that is the question

I need to get my crankshaft to a machine shop to remove my broken crank bolt... is it possible to remove it from the bottom with the engine still in the car, or is it just going to be easier to pull the engine? Please include an explanation and at least a rough "sketch" of the process to do either. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much is broken off? If the entire head is gone, then you should be able to get some sort of extractor on it and work it out with the engine still in there, since all the tension is gone. (After removing the balancer and probably the radiator.)
Old 02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I actually tried that and broke off my extractor bit, which is why I'm in this mess in the first place. I'm still trying to fish out the broken extractor but if that doesn't work, I'm looking at pulling the crank.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

I believe you will have to pull the k-member to get the oil pan down so you might as well just pull the engine if you can't get the bolt out.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya u def have to drop k member you can't even drop the oil pan with out droping the k member down 2in trust me ive done it before you might as well pull it so you make sure you torque everything back up correctly
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

ok so my next question: do I drop it out the bottom or pull it out the top? i have access to a lift (not sure which type as of yet)
Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't pull the motor just yet. Do some more searching. Make some phone calls. Maybe get a mechanic to come look at it first. How about posting a pic here for starters if possible.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

why not just take some time and drill it out. work your way up on drillbit sizes stay straight and dead center. eventually u will be able to get a decent sized ez out in there to get it out or you could drill it so its just smaller than the threads and chizel out the rest of it. Or If you have access to a welder you could weld a nut onto it then take it off with a socket. Just use a decent size nut and make sure the weld penetrates. You have options if you work at it patiently u could get it out. If not take it to an experienced mechanic they will be able to remove it.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Staging Lane

I would take the whole car to the shop.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the motor has got to come out, I would lift the body off of the engine/kmember. I did that on my mustang, not a bad process.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by iverson387
why not just take some time and drill it out. work your way up on drillbit sizes stay straight and dead center. eventually u will be able to get a decent sized ez out in there to get it out or you could drill it so its just smaller than the threads and chizel out the rest of it. Or If you have access to a welder you could weld a nut onto it then take it off with a socket. Just use a decent size nut and make sure the weld penetrates. You have options if you work at it patiently u could get it out. If not take it to an experienced mechanic they will be able to remove it.
It sounds like the bolt snapped off inside so welding is probably not an option. The worst thing to do is screw up the threads on the crank or damage the snout in some way. Whatever you do be very careful and think it through!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you are going topull it, i would definetly pull it from the bottom. you can leave the intake, heads and such on the motor if oyu pull it from the bottom
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot for the input guys.. it's hard to be patient when you're 90% done with the project, but that's exactly what I need to do. I'm taking it to my local machine shop today to have them look at it so hopefully something can be done that isn't TOO drastic.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vsocks1
It sounds like the bolt snapped off inside so welding is probably not an option. The worst thing to do is screw up the threads on the crank or damage the snout in some way. Whatever you do be very careful and think it through!

Welding would work perfect for this application as you just use a fairly large nut and weld the inside of it. Ive done it many times.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by iverson387
Welding would work perfect for this application as you just use a fairly large nut and weld the inside of it. Ive done it many times.
Oh really? Do you know how much of the bolt is sticking out of the snout? Like I said if the bolt snapped off inside crank and he has been trying to extract it without success...doubt if enough is sticking out to comfortably weld anything. Yes, welding a nut on is a good solution in some cases. Just doesn't sound like it will work here!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

welding would almost certainly fail here, since the bolt is broken 2 inches *inside* the crank snout. I'm not trying to be a dick... just adding more information. Keep the thoughts coming, guys... I'm looking for any reason NOT to pull the engine and take the crank to a machine shop.