General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Issues

Hey guys i've got a 2000 SS Camaro six speed, my security light was flashing an the car would not start. I changed the lock cylinder an when i pulled the old one, one of the white wires was broken....Well i put the new lock cylinder in an it started fine an i had no problems up until this last weekend(about a week after replacing it). I started the car an noticed the security light came on but shut off within a matter of 2 to 3 seconds, then the next time i went to start it the security light start flashing an now it wont start again Before i tear into this again, i was wondering if there was any other things i could check first that might be the problem....The lock cylinder i put in was not a GM part, it was an off brand from O'reilly's could that have anything to do with it?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 AM
wrencher

Did you get the right coded key/cylinder for your car?
Old 03-01-2009, 01:46 AM

I changed my lock cyl. about a month ago on my camero. The coded key is ur biggest problem, there are a few ways around this. If you have a computer programmer for cars or a reader will do I belive, reset the key code to the new key u have. If you have to take it some where to geth this done it will cost u almost 100. If you have you old key cyl. and key take the two orange wire you pluged into the new key cyl. off and plug them into the old key cyl. then put your old key in there and turn your new key cyl and ur car should fire right up. without the key problem but rember if u do it that way u dont need a chip to start ur car they just have to break ur dash and they have your car. There is also another was to bybass the system but u will run into the security system agian sooner or later.