General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pan gasket change in car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil pan gasket change in car?

I recently picked up a car, and its got a leak(oil drips) coming from the front of the engine, towards the bottom(and a bunch of other issues) and was wondering how hard it would be to replace the oil pan gasket with the engine in the car?

If its the front main seal, or cover gasket, id probably replace the oil pan gasket either way, but just need to know what im in for, and what you guys would recommend if i need any other gaskets for anything? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the oil pan seal is attached with rivets so you will need to pull the pan off the engine to install a new seal. There are two points at the outside bottom of the timing cover adjacent to the oil pan edge that require a dab of form a gasket or another sealant. Look carefully and if its leaking at either side of the cover where it meets the oil pan you may only need a dab of sealant there. If you have to pull the timing cover to correct it be sure and instal a new crank seal as well as a new timing cover seal.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed my oil pan gasket (and rear main seal) last month with the motor on the car. It took me longer than I expected, but it can be done. Are you planning on pulling the tranny out? If so, I'd also change the rear main AND the crankshaft oil plug for good measure while you're in there.

Yes, the pan gasket is riveted to the pan, so the pan must be completely removed. Quite a few parts need to be undone so you can clear the K-member. Also, need to jack up the motor (and disconnect the motor mounts)in order to get the pan out the bottom.

AND, go ahead and feel free to use whatever sealer you want liberally on the pan gasket both mating to the pan and to the block. Also, be careful not to overtighten the pan bolts (especially the two long bolts at the rear of the block...don't ask how I know).