LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in buying a high quality CAI or FWI for under 150 dollars?
Where do I sign?
31.82%
You've got to be kidding!
18.18%
I would definitely think about it.
50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Custom CAI begins today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom CAI begins today!!!

Ok guys, I'm sure many of you are sitting there and day after day looking at the K&N and Cold Air Inductions intakes and drooling, knowing that you won't pay that much for one like, LIKE ME. I'm going the distance to try and build a HIGH quality fenderwell intake for our cars without breaking the bank. Also to make a ram-air headlight for track use. I have had the 3.25" to 3" coupler for a few weeks. I have also had the RE-0930 K&N filter for a few weeks. I have merely been waiting on my pipe to come in. I bought 5' of T-304 stainless thinwall pipe. For those of you who know, this is surgical grade stainless and is the most resistant to oxidation. So I'm going to pick up the pipe and cut a piece and test fit this thing today. Later on I'm going to have the pipe powdercoated red along with my diagonal braces and radiator motor mount bracket to match my black and red engine cover. As soon as I get this thing done I will take some pictures and get them up here so everybody can see. BTW, I'm thinking about making this a kit that I can ship out to you with instructions if this works out well. We'll see how it goes. With the kit you will also have the ability to pick the pipe powdercoat color or have it without coat. Anyways, I will get pics up here as soon as I get it done. I'm guessing around 6ish. Wish me luck.

PS for you impy and monte guys, I will also be able to make a regular CAI for you because you lack the ability to have a fenderwell intake without cutting the body from what I've heard. That is no problem, just a little less pipe and a bracket to keep it steady
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personaly I'd polish and clearcoat the pipe, before I paid for powdercoating.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

I understand man, I'm just not a big fan of flashy bright crap
Old 02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I'd say go for whatever keeps the pipe the coolest, you don't want that thing getting heat soaked.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

You're right, there is good heat wrap you can buy, might definitely do that, will have to see about the price would save me money on powdercoat as well
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

sweet keep us posted...I'm in the market for an intake...again.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just wondering why you wouldn't use a larger pipe than 3"
Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get it cermaic coated, solve all your problems
Old 02-25-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eddiemoney
Just get it cermaic coated, solve all your problems
^Ya what he said. It comes in many different colors and temp ratings, you should be able to find one perfect for you.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Teching In

make a kit that hooks up to my inferno hood : )

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3080901
Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=GXPRIX27;11129810]make a kit that hooks up to my inferno hood : )
+2 on that

and the ceramic coating.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 AM
On The Tree

Making a kit that made the inferno hood scoop actually ram air would be a ton of work as well as lots of pipe. It would create too much turbulence because of the U bend it would take to turn it to attach it to the MAF, would actually kill airflow IMHO, but what do I know, If our engines were not transverse it would be a beautiful thing

I used a 3" pipe because of the limitations on space in the fenderwell. A 3.5" filter is perfect for a CAI and would be great for looks but won't pull that much extra air. Remember you're still limited in overall volume by a 3.25" maf and throttle body. air flowing uphill > air flowing downhill - what I mean is air travels faster when it's going through a smaller tube opening into a bigger space instead of flowing through a big tube and then bottlenecking at a small space such as the small maf and throttle body, this creates turbulence and the air works against itself. And guys, ceramic coating still gets hot-hence ceramic coated cookware , the only purpose for it is that it withstands high temperatures and still looks good hence why they use it to coat headers They still get hot and you still have to wrap the headers to actually keep the heat out of the engine bay

On a separate note, had to help my buddy with his f-150 yesterday so I didn't get a chance to cut the pipe for the intake, gonna undertake that today and get pics up for you guys, I'll have videos of the exhaust and intake this weekend Wish me luck
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Ceramic will help in lowering the heat transfer, which is a big reason why headers are coated, hotter gasses = better flow from what i understand. If it didnt help then people would just run straight stainless headers. Although ceramic and even wrap only go so far to keeping things cool, youll need a combonation of things to work. And trust me your not gonna want some straight metal intake tube, youll want to protect it some how especially being so close to the crossover.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 AM
On The Tree

Ok, here's the deal, I took the stock airbox out and I'm gonna need to find a mandrel bender for a 90 degree turn to get the pipe into the fender. So for now I just have it set up as a CAI. Ok, here is what my research so far after having it installed is telling me. First off, here's a pic.

Ok, after romping on it around town, and immediately opening the hood to check the temps of components here is what I found. The piece of pipe is cold to the touch from all the airflow, the MAF is cool to the touch. The problem however is the rubber sleeve that attaches the TB to the MAF and houses the oil line breather. Therefore, I really don't think the pipe is going to be a problem as far as temp goes, I might get it ceramikoted red but that would be as far as I'm going with it. It doesn't need wrapped. I am going to either buy a 45 degree bend silicone coupler for the TB to the MAF though because it will not all heat to get inside the throttle body. I don't want to cut that to create a bung for the oil line breather though, any ideas?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Isn't part of the problem the accordian piece with the bend.

I believe that is what's causing the flow problems.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Im eager to see how warm it gets say after an hour drive on a warmer day, you got to remember its significantly cooler out now then say when you would go to the track this summer. I had the k&n kit on my GXP and the pipe did absorb some heat. I always though about wrapping the area around the crossover but i just never did. Ive never seen any real tests for under hood temps on these cars. Do you have one of those thermometer guns? There is a website that sell a butt load of elbows and couplers and things you could use, i could try to dig it up if you want.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

I'll just order one from siliconeintakes.com, that's where I got the other coupler, thanks man, that won't be the setup I'll have come summer, as I said this is only something till I get the pipe bent to run an FWI
Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Remember guys, this thing isn't finished yet!!!! That thing is just a prototype, I'm still working on deleting the TB to MAF coupler. Also, looking into some type of heat shield.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Ok guys, it's update time. After a week off from messing with it. I'm back onto the FWI kick. Instead of getting the pipe bent, I'm going a different direction. I bought another silicone coupler, this one 90 degree to get down into the front bumper. I'm just going to cut another piece of pipe. I will update when I get this step done. I also thought about the problem with the TB to MAF coupler. I am going to overcome this by wrapping it with fiberglass exhaust wrap and clamping it down with the stainless wireties. This will allow me to cut a hole for the oil breather and it will still look good. That stuff should solve that problem and therefore I'll be pulling cold air up and it won't be heated before it hits the TB
Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

im interested to see what this turns out like im planning on re doing my intake here this spring too ill probably be cutting that plastic thing between the radiatr support and the back of the headlight and running tubing up there if i can

Quick Reply: Custom CAI begins today!!!