LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti...Again!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Opti...Again!

I am replacing the opti on my car again because it keeps losing the high frequency signal. So, was thinking of going ahead with a cam while i'm there. Would need to be able to keep stock valve springs and stuff for a while. Any suggestions? Thinking hot cam kit, it's almost 600 but has everything in it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You cannot simply throw in the hotcam on stock valvesprings - not a good idea at all!

The hotcam kit does supply everything so there's no guesswork. Keep in mind that when you remove the optispark you're only 1/3rd of the way to the cam. You will still need to pull the intake manifold, timing cover and chain.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've never seen anyone advise using the stock springs with any cam. How expensive are decent springs?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't really think there would be a bigger cam that I could use with stock springs but you never know unless you ask. I know it's only part way there, but i'm also resealing the intake while i'm putting it on so I wouldn't lack anything more than time. Can you use the Hotcam kit without reprogramming it. If I did put a cam in it, I would have to wait a few weeks to tune it.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Didn't really think there would be a bigger cam that I could use with stock springs but you never know unless you ask. I know it's only part way there, but i'm also resealing the intake while i'm putting it on so I wouldn't lack anything more than time. Can you use the Hotcam kit without reprogramming it. If I did put a cam in it, I would have to wait a few weeks to tune it.
You can run the hotcam untuned. However, expect less-than-stellar performance. A tune will wake up even a stock car, much less a cammed car.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an air compressor, you can swap the valve springs with the heads on the car by threading a fitting into the spark plug holes. The stock springs are barely good enough for the stock cam.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself some nice rope and stuff it in the cylinders through the sparkplug hole. easier that the air method and garanteed not to drop a valve.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There won't be a much more opportune time to swap in a cam, so I would do whatever it takes to come up with the money to get it done.
There is nothing wrong with driving the car unturned for a couple of weeks until you have a chance to tune it.
As for the spring swap...just bring the piston to TDC and replace the four springs at a time. It will be impossible to drop a valve.

Quick Reply: Opti...Again!