Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Expensive lesson

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive lesson

So about a month ago my car spun a bearing and I was referred to this local shop. (Just FYI, I've barely started learning about f-bodies or anything at all about auto for that matter.) So I took my car to this local shop and the owner convinces me that all he has to do is drop the oil pan, put in a new set of bearings, and have the crankshaft cut and polished. For $600 out the door I thought I was getting a real good deal. I sign the paper and leave. Later my friend finally decides to call me back and tells me there's no way my engine can be fixed that way... that I need to have my engine tore down and rebuilt. I call the mechanic and tell him to halt, but his employee already did the work. So I go down and we start talking a rebuild. He tells me it should be about $500 for the machine work. He has the block shipped out, then tells me they want $975. It turns out I need all new bearings, a cam, crankshaft, an align/hone, etc. I make a few calls myself and find out this price sounds about right with all that's needed. I tell him to go for it and it's been about a week and a half since the block went out. My poor car has been sitting outside of his shop for almost a whole f***in month now. So now I'm just waiting for the damn block to come back so everything can be put back together. He says that the total should be about $2500 when everything is said and done... and this is all a stock rebuild.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

dammm that sucks,good luck with it. i hope the guy atleast gives you a good warranty.not to make you feel bad but that could of been an ls1 swap
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

if he wants you to get a new cam, can you get an upgraded one?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn man... for that kinda money you could have upgraded... stock parts/ aftermarket parts are a lot of the time the same price...
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cost $2200 said and done for my dad's 460 (7.5L v8 - gas) in his '92 Ford van when he took it in for a rebuild. That's including the aftermarket cam and all labor. This is from a shop that specializes in engine rebuilds...
Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That sucks man. I tried to tell you. Hard lesson learned I guess. But don't feel so bad, If it is a quality rebuild, that is not an outrageous price, but I would have picked up a stock low miles bottom end and spent the rest on bolt ons.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I realize a used short block would have been way cheaper, but I got stuck in too far and couldn't get out. At least if something goes wrong, I can blame the builder and not the engine.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

yep sucks I would cry
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Launching!

That sucks. I blew an end cap to a rod and shot out of the bottom side of the block. So I took it to these guys that were going to rebuild the engine for 3 grand complete, so I said go for it. He told me it would take 1-2 weeks max, well a month later he tells me that they had to wait for the block, and they got the wrong one. A week later its almost finished, he told me they just have to tune it and its good to go, he told me this Friday. Well over the weekend some idiot decided they were going to brake in the shop and steal the catts off cars, while they did that they opened my car and tore everything out, as well as the 2k dollar sound system. The idiots left the car unlocked, with the keys inside!! Then I had to wit for keys to be made, let me just say 2 months later I got my car, then it went back in for another 2 weeks cause the pan was leaking, and its back in there again cause they didnt plug the engine temp sensor. I feel ya, lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96blackta
So about a month ago my car spun a bearing and I was referred to this local shop. (Just FYI, I've barely started learning about f-bodies or anything at all about auto for that matter.) So I took my car to this local shop and the owner convinces me that all he has to do is drop the oil pan, put in a new set of bearings, and have the crankshaft cut and polished. For $600 out the door I thought I was getting a real good deal. I sign the paper and leave.

You were screwed from "hello" You can't begin to believe how bad this whole scenario sounds.

Later my friend finally decides to call me back and tells me there's no way my engine can be fixed that way... that I need to have my engine tore down and rebuilt. I call the mechanic and tell him to halt, but his employee already did the work.

His employee has already installed a reground crankshaft or his employee has already ground the crank and re-installed? That was all pretty fast, no?

So I go down and we start talking a rebuild. He tells me it should be about $500 for the machine work. He has the block shipped out, then tells me they want $975.
What were the machining charges for?

It turns out I need all new bearings, a cam, crankshaft, an align/hone, etc. I make a few calls myself and find out this price sounds about right with all that's needed.
this is for the $975 - I thought he employee had already installed a reground crank and bearings - and now they find out that the block needs to be line honed -

I tell him to go for it and it's been about a week and a half since the block went out. My poor car has been sitting outside of his shop for almost a whole f***in month now. So now I'm just waiting for the damn block to come back so everything can be put back together. He says that the total should be about $2500 when everything is said and done... and this is all a stock rebuild.
I'm sorry to tell you this but if I were you I'd not count on this shop being able to deliver anything hat will be remotely reliable or worth a crap. Why are you so intent on letting these guys bend you over, anyway?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 AM
Launching!

lol i wouldnt be supprised if they didnt even measure the main bore for taper and out of round..i bet u they just said yah it needs to be align honed so they can make an extra nickel..if i was u i would go down there with a straight edge,feeler gauge,snap guage and a micrometer and check it for urself. expecially if they are bending u over so much
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I brought my friend down and he checked out the tore down engine for me. He inspected everything so we know what was needed. I've made the mechanic prove everything all the way through. At this point I'm just hoping to get out with paying no more than $2500 he guessed and the warranty as described written down on paper.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

there are alot of screwy shops out there but that doesnt sound like a crazy price for a rebuilt motor.

Quick Reply: Expensive lesson