Sponsored by:

Buying a Z06.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Z06.

hey Guys,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am going down to look at a 2002 Z06 that has 36000 miles on it? They want 26,000 for it? I would like to know peoples opinions on it? What do I look for? Are there any sure signs of abuse that I should look out for? I don't want to be blind sided. Any small hints that would cost large amounts of money? Please give me some advice

Zach
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should go to " General LSX automobile forum"..but ya there are ways to check for abuse, first thing first is carfax or related inquiry backround. But check clutch engagement , look under oil fill cap for gunky type substance, coolant should not have oil in it, engine noise, tons of rubber up inside of rear tire quater area, gaps in the doors,trunk and hood..take a good mechanic with you and hopefully he has an engine stethascope and listen to the internals working..good luck, sounds like a nice grab.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

$26,000? I wouldn't, even if it is a Z06. I believe the 02' Z06 has the LS6. If you're going to spend that amount of money, you ought to look into the 05' or 06' base Vettes, there's a few of them under $30,000. They may be base Vettes, but they come with the LS2 and also you would be getting a 3 or 4 year younger car.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:49 AM

Do it! C5 Z06=Rarer and cooler(imo) than a C6 base and definitely at least a few thousand cheaper. Same base hp #'s pretty much, same modability, few extras, and one bad *** car. Vettes are another breed. Enjoy your monster/exotic car! If only I could afford a vette Can't beat the handling, hp, and curbweight. Such a beast!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28MaroJoe
Do it! C5 Z06=Rarer and cooler(imo) than a C6 base and definitely at least a few thousand cheaper. Same base hp #'s pretty much, same modability, few extras, and one bad *** car. Vettes are another breed. Enjoy your monster/exotic car! If only I could afford a vette Can't beat the handling, hp, and curbweight. Such a beast!
What do you mean C5 Z06=rarer? It's just another regular production Vette, except it's a top of the line Vette. It would be different if it was a Lingenfelter.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Teching In

I have a 2001 Z06. I bought 3 years ago basically without much knowledge of what to look for. Luckily it was 5k cheaper than any other Z around.

Some small things to check for
digital readout on the climate control - mine didn't work - didn't know until on the way home ($200 fix) The BCM is bad on mine - has been since I bought it. Thought it was a wheel sensor or wire harness. Replaced the harness, replaced the hub bearing and still get error codes for the traction control when I hit 90+.

I haven't noticed many of the 02's having reverse engagement problems but check that for sure. I pulled mine apart after a year of dealing with it poping out of reverse and fixed it. It is easy (sort of).

Also check around the rearend where the axles go into the rear and the trans mates up the rear. Check for leakage - sometimes the seals go - again not a bad fix for a diy project but would be expensive at the dealer.

Check the headlights - they have plastic gears that get stripped - mine didn't have it at first but does now. Another easy fix but all these easy fixes adds up.

As far as telling if it was abused - that is pretty hard - I beat the mess out of mine and you can't tell, besides the tires. I have 77k miles on it. I've owned it for 3 years and have had almost the whole car apart - I get bored in the winter.

If you have any questions send me a pm - I think $26k is high also - My buddy bought one with a few more miles 50k with some things modded for $18k.

Ricky
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Price in todays times for that car/miles in good condition are closer to $22-$23K. If it looks good all over & under, drives well, and appears well cared for - go for it with some negotiation! They are great and not bad to work on once you get to know them! I love mine!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would have to strongly echo that in todays economy, 26 K is too much to pay. Low ball the guy but not bad enough to insult them and go from there. I'd say 23 K is about the most I would pay, and I'd offer 22 to start. Is this private or dealership sale ??
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by IZRED
What do you mean C5 Z06=rarer? It's just another regular production Vette, except it's a top of the line Vette. It would be different if it was a Lingenfelter.
What you said is just wrong. So if the guy said he owned a ZR-1 it's just another vette huh? come on. Let me ask you the question, would you prefer to own a base Vette or Z06? You must own a C6 and/or are pissed you didn't buy the Z. And whats up with having a 3 or 4 year old newer car for $5k+ more? I don't know about you, but I trust the build quality of the C5 Z06's a lot, unless you know of something build wise that makes the C6 2X's more reliable or some thing than C5's it's just a waste of money for different headlights. Let's get real here ok?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Teching In

I have friends who have base c6's and c6Z's that use to own C5 Z06 and they all prefer the C5Z over the C6. Yeah the base model has the power but it is something about the suspension and the way the car feels that they don't like.

I even test drove a new C6 and while it was fast it didn't seem like a corvette. The seats were nice it drove nice down the road but it just didn't seem like a vette- Granted riding in a C2 or C3 vs the c5 you could say the same thing. This is just my observation.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Don't do what hundreds of guys did and buy a regular C6 , then SELL it to get a C5 Z06. Check for the leaky diff, all recalls actually, and there isn't many. Do a CARFAX. Yeah with the economy you should be able to get that Z06 for 22-23K. Oh and these cars make noise. The tranny can sometimes sound like a bucket of marbles and the motor ( valvetrain a sewing machine. Dont worry its normal.

Derek
Old 02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z28MaroJoe
What you said is just wrong. So if the guy said he owned a ZR-1 it's just another vette huh? come on. Let me ask you the question, would you prefer to own a base Vette or Z06? You must own a C6 and/or are pissed you didn't buy the Z. And whats up with having a 3 or 4 year old newer car for $5k+ more? I don't know about you, but I trust the build quality of the C5 Z06's a lot, unless you know of something build wise that makes the C6 2X's more reliable or some thing than C5's it's just a waste of money for different headlights. Let's get real here ok?
Why the attitude, Joe blow? As goes for the answer on which vette I prefer, it wouldn't matter to me. I would be happy just having a vette. I have a 02' Camaro, so it's 7 yrs. old, too, I have faith in GM quality. Go take a chill pill.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Zaxz28, I don't know where you live, but if you live close by San Antonio, I saw a black Z06 for $26,000 on the autotrader for sale by private owner.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

A 200k mile 02 Z06 in my neighborhood just sold for $15k so I think with the mileage in the 30k range, that $20k-$24k should be a good price range. Just bring cash because it talks!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by IZRED
Why the attitude, Joe blow? As goes for the answer on which vette I prefer, it wouldn't matter to me. I would be happy just having a vette. I have a 02' Camaro, so it's 7 yrs. old, too, I have faith in GM quality. Go take a chill pill.
Sorry if it sounded like I put anger into that message. Didn't mean to, only tried to get a point across.