Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Mount question/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Mount question/opinions

I need to purchase a tranny mount. Mine is starting to aggravate me, and I think its already caused my motor mounts to sag as well (Y Pipe clearance issues). What I'm looking for is a replacement that won't cause any additional in-car noise/vibrations. My car is my DD with occasional street fun. Not really concerned with the "best possible track-only" option Would the following link do the trick?

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1039

All advice and opinions welcome. I just don't want to get a mount that going to cause headaches in the future.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

you have 2 options.

From what I have read, and someone can correct me these are the 2 routes:

1. I have tried 2 different types stock rubber tranny mounts, been through 5, and each of them fail in 3-6 months. I put down 335 thru an auto so... not too much power. I believe the fact that I have a small oil leak might be adding to the quick deterioration of the rubber, but still I believe they should last a bit longer. So option one, buy a rubber mount for cheap, and replace it again.

2. The prothane/energy suspension mount is alright, will vibrate the car a little but more but people say it breaks in after 1000 miles or so and vibrates less. There is debate on whether it is bad for the tailshaft of the tranny if you still have stock rubber motor mounts, because it does not allow the tailshaft to move as much as the rest of the assembly.. but I have not seen any facts on this.. maybe someone can add on this thread. option two, buy a prothane/ES/whatever you wanna call it mount. If you DO decide to go this route, then you also have to decide whether to use the plate it comes with..

I believe the BEST option and really ONLY option if you are going to do anything for a LONG TERM fix is to upgrade the motor mounts to poly, as well as the tranny mount to poly. But if you are not doing motor mounts, then stick with the rubber, but it really is opinion I guess.

Maybe we can have a tranny mount sticky in the Automagic section or here if more info comes in this thread.

Hope this helps
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

A rubber mount would be fine for what your doing.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

poly trans mount and rubber motor mounts = broken bellhousing
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just go to local parts store and find a rubber mount. Looks like I have a little project to do this weekend now.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
poly trans mount and rubber motor mounts = broken bellhousing
i agree 100%.....it just the way these cars are set-up.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i agree 100%.....it just the way these cars are set-up.
AHHHH, crap!!! wonder if i have a broken bellhousing now, i got in my car this morning and when i let out on the clutch in neutral i hear a clanking sound coming from under my shifer, but when i push it in it goes away.

better get me some motor mounts and see whats up with the tranny.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zacht
AHHHH, crap!!! wonder if i have a broken bellhousing now, i got in my car this morning and when i let out on the clutch in neutral i hear a clanking sound coming from under my shifer, but when i push it in it goes away.

better get me some motor mounts and see whats up with the tranny.
nah, that sounds more like a throw out bearing issue if you are pushing the clutch and it goes away.
if you are pushing on the shifter and the noise goes away, then something isnt right in the tranny.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I've tried the poly trans mount in my automatic car. I didn't care for the extra vibration but my wife really hated it! If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy, so a GM rubber mount went back in. Now momma's happy.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bb5401000
I've tried the poly trans mount in my automatic car. I didn't care for the extra vibration but my wife really hated it! If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy, so a GM rubber mount went back in. Now momma's happy.
a tranny mount?
oh man. she wouldnt like my car.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ I dont think she would like vary many cars on here especially those of us with cutout and poly mounts.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Just to add to this, i've been to three "local" autoparts stores, and none have a rubber transmission mount, they only have the engergy suspension poly one.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:22 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mr.mustang214
Just to add to this, i've been to three "local" autoparts stores, and none have a rubber transmission mount, they only have the engergy suspension poly one.
becuase they know you are going to rip them and want a lifetime warranty on it.
ive seen people go through a stock one in a day. they are super weak if you drive your car hard. even in stock form most times.
you used to be able to get the reinforced mount at the dealer with the hooks.
it was pricey, and i think discontinued.
that might be your best bet if you dont want a poly.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TJ
becuase they know you are going to rip them and want a lifetime warranty on it.
ive seen people go through a stock one in a day. they are super weak if you drive your car hard. even in stock form most times.
you used to be able to get the reinforced mount at the dealer with the hooks.
it was pricey, and i think discontinued.
that might be your best bet if you dont want a poly.
My problem is i have a poly, but i'm sure my motor mounts are stock. it was on it when i bought the car. And when i bought it, it had a spohn tunnel mount torque arm that rubbed on everything in sight so i sold it and got a stock torque arm and now i'm getting noises when i take off on hills, or under hard acceleration. And after reading this i realize that the poly trans mount can be very bad with rubber motor mounts.