General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Pump going?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump going?

I've got an 02 Trans am, had it for about 6 months now, put around 7k miles on it so far so it sits at 102,4xx.

Not too long ago the power steering fluid got low, so I filled it back up, 2 weeks later its low again, fill it abck up take it to a shop they say it needs all new lines and a pump as well. Take it to another shop to get looked at they say they cleaned it up took it for a test drive and can't see why I would need any of that so I'm like .

Anyway I have just been putting power steering fluid in it about every 2-3 weeks. (Keep in mind I do run this car decently hard, but don't beat the **** out of it). Now just a few days ago I start it up and pull out and it's as if I have no power steering, then all of a sudden not even 1/4 mile bam I got power steering and its fine. And now it does this about every time when I start it up and it hasn't been driven since yesterday.

I can hear the power steering pump whine ever now and then esp of course when the fluid is low. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this if so what was the fix or cause? At this point in time I'm not feeling like taking it to another shop. If the pump goes, it goes, but it won't go because of no fluid because I check it almost daily.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you are constantly running it low, and it is whining then the pump is probably getting screwed up. You need to find out where the leak is and fix it. Look at the rack, the lines, and the reservoir and find out why you have to keep refilling it. Eventually after enough time you'll burn up the pump if you keep running it with the fluid low.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Power steering not functioning, then working properly could be due to an air pocket. there may be a small leak in a hose causing air to enter the system
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for dirty spots around the fittings and lines. When it leaks it gets caked with dust and dirt from the road and doesnt look like a traditional leak. (You wont see fluid dripping)
Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

use the UV dye to find leak saves tons of times pulled and replaced my PS pump three times before I tried this you will spot the leak fast

Search this Thread