General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Heat comming from vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Heat comming from vents

I own a 97 Z and I purchased the car last year. My a/c wasn't working so I got that fixed and charged, well the colder days came and i turned my car to heat and nothing happend.

What is wrong.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97 blackZ
I own a 97 Z and I purchased the car last year. My a/c wasn't working so I got that fixed and charged, well the colder days came and i turned my car to heat and nothing happend.

What is wrong.
No air at all blows out, or cold/lukewarm air?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be the heater core
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blower motor/resistor
Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can hear the fan but get no air, look for a
break in the vacuum feed that runs the diverter
flaps. Anywhere between the manifold, control
unit and the actuators. Enjoy.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Air does come out but it is cold/warm.......I was thinking it is the diverter flaps but I don't know if they are controlled with a vacuum line or with a fuse ????
Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

controlled with a vacuum line
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok this might sound stupid, but where is the vacuum line located ???
Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the vent settings are operating normally, changing from defrost to center vents, etc. and airflow is good, don't think that's a vacuum line. Since temperature seems to be the issue I'd suspect the heater core and try flushing it. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#heaterflush
Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
If the vent settings are operating normally, changing from defrost to center vents, etc. and airflow is good, don't think that's a vacuum line. Since temperature seems to be the issue I'd suspect the heater core and try flushing it. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#heaterflush
x2, if you're getting lukewarm air, its probably the heater core. I'd flush or replace it.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't rule out the diverter just because you can change whether or not it comes out of the floor vents, defroster vents, etc..

The diverter controls how much air passes across the heater core. Not which duct the air enters the passenger compartment.

If the diverter is not working properly, it will only send some of the air through the heater core and the rest around it.

First, I would check the thermostat. Make sure it isn't stuck open or partially open. Also, verify to see that it is the correct thermostat. It is possible that the previous owner put a colder t-stat in. If that is so, your heater will not get that warm. (This is a popular mod for guys with LT1's that think 1 extra hp is worth freezing your butt off in winter).

If the thermostat appears to be ok, move on to the next possiblity.

Check to make sure the diverter is working properly. When you have full heat selected the diverter should move to direct most of the air through the heater core, if it doesn't, troubleshoot and find out why. If the diverter is working properly, then check to make sure you have water flow through the core. This is as simple as removing the heater return line and checking to see that it flows. If the water just trickles out or does not flow at all, you can safely assume the heater core is plugged and can try to flush it out. After flushing and it still does not flow water very well, replace the core.

Troubleshooting is a process. Don't just replace parts or perform services unless testing justifies it.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

have you checked your coolant level?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1whip
have you checked your coolant level?
Sage advice.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Sage advice.
thanks but listin bro i had the same problem a while back car wasnt overheating at the time soo i just shrugged it off for a while and it was blowing cool but the coolant ended up being low, lol i found that out after it overheated but! learn from my mistake! it can still be around normal running temp and blow cooler but eventually it overheated. i ended up having a realllllly small leak on my thermostat gasket....soo but anyways there is another route to look into hope you fix it!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanx

Thanx for all the help.............

I was going to tackle the camaro, but we got 8" of snow yesterday and it is cold *** hell here. I will start with checking my coolent level when it gets a little nicer here.

I think I can fix this with all the great advice I have gotten....

Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Teching In

i have a similar problem on my 98 z. i started it up after a few inches of snow recently and the fan for the heater doesn't work at all...nothing. can't tell for sure if there is any heat either. any thoughts? not sure if this has any significance or not but i just replaced my alternator about a week ago and all was fine till today.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Teching In

I agree with Dan Stewart. Diag is a process and if not done properly will cost you alot of money. Once again, check the coolant level, make sure that you don't have any leaks that lead to air pockets in the coolant system. Check the diverter as well as the control head for proper operation. Always check the easiest things first!!! Next, check that the core is flowing and is not blocked by any debris. The trash thing might sound stupid but you never know what could be back there. Best of luck...