Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Steps to change SC pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Steps to change SC pulley

Shop is replacing the SC pulley. They say it is pressed on and that the charger has to come off to replace the pulley. They also replaced the idler pully that apparently was soft. The belt had almost worn through the pulley on one side. The charger install had less than 2500 miles on since the installation. The charger was installed from a kit built in 2005 and understand therre was a possible issue with the hardening of the idler pulley's back then.

Would someone please post the exact steps to replace the pulley. I want to do it myself next time if I decide to go from the 4.38 to the 4.25.

Just can't see how it would take 3 hours to replace a pulley and new belt.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this for a Vortech? Procharger? Paxton? what???? also, what kind of car?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

1998 Z28 Camaro with a ATI D1SC.

BTW Bob at EPP was able to talk ATI into giving me a few dollars off on the idler pulley that was defective. I'll post picks later when I have access to my camera.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To change the pulley, you do have to take the procharger off. I always disconnect the sway bar then that should allow you to be able to remove the head unit from the bracket by removing the allen head bolts. You can leave the bracket itself on the car. You will need to remove one of the standoffs to get the belt off however. After you have the head unit off, you have to remove one bolt in the middle of the pulley and then the pulley should come off with a little persuasion. Its not a press fit, but it is a tight fit and there is a key and keyway. I always find it easiest to use an impact wrench to take that bolt on and off. Putting it on is the same as taking it off, just in reverse order.

The manual should spell things out for you. If you dont have a manual, I know EPP has one on their website somewhere you can download.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three hours is ridiculous. A lot of people wouldn't recommend this, but I guarantee you this is what the shop will do:

1) Loosen the tensioner and take the belt off (it will still be captive, but not on the pulleys).
2) Using an allen key, take the blower off the bracket.
3) Using a ratchet, take the J-bracket off the standoffs (to get the belt out of there).
4) Using an impact wrench, take the pulley off (it will slide off after the bolt is removed).
5) Slide the new pulley on.
6) Impact the new pulley on.
7) Put the new belt in place, and then put the J-bracket back on over it.
8) Using the allen key, place the blower back on the bracket with the belt in place.
9) Put the belt on the crank pulley and tighten the tensioner.

A lot of people don't recommend using an impact wrench to remove and reinstall the pulley. However, I guarantee a shop will do that. It will take them 30 minutes max when the car is in the air.

Quick Reply: Steps to change SC pulley