Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Is sherman williams paint any good?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is sherwin williams paint any good?

As the title stats. Going to get the car painted and he said this is what he uses. I'm going to go with sunset orange and want to get as close to the oem color as possible. What brand would you guys recommend?

Last edited by sheikss; 02-26-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sheikss
Is sherman williams paint any good?
Ask him

But seriously I never used it. always stuck with PPG or HOK, never had any experiance with Sherwin Williams
Old 02-26-2009, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

yea SherWIN Williams paint is good stuff.. definitely comparable to PPG, DuPont, Sikkens, etc.

but i may be a little biased because i sell the stuff.. haha

what kinda basecoat is he using? Ultra 7000 or Dimension?

Edit... i noticed you're in Columbus... what shop are you taking it to?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm actually going to use a guy in tulsa. I'm not sure about the base coat. Any recommendations would be greatly apperciated. I've got $10,000 to spend on the paint and body work and he said he could do it for that. I won't use any shops in columbus.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry about the spelling. Fixed
Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

honestly, i would never put it on anything that i was going to keep. we (the shop) used it for about a year and had nothing but problems with it, mostly peeling and are rep and S.W. would always say it was are fault. i painted my car with it and it looked great for about 6 months and it too started to peel. so now its PPG or Diamont for me.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tpain
honestly, i would never put it on anything that i was going to keep. we (the shop) used it for about a year and had nothing but problems with it, mostly peeling and are rep and S.W. would always say it was are fault. i painted my car with it and it looked great for about 6 months and it too started to peel. so now its PPG or Diamont for me.
how long ago was this? I have a car with 7 year old SW paint with zero problems.. never garage kept either

no offense... but if you cant get this paint to lay down.. you're doing something wrong.. i can show you a bunch of cars painted with PPG, Sikkens, and DuPont paint that all have peeling problems... guess what.. its not the paint..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with Ricer, I've had SW on a few of my cars without any problems, no complaints, pretty good stuff. Never peeled or anything, doubt it ever will. I think I like DuPont a little better, that's just personal preference though.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

it was about 5 yrs ago, well thats funny we have been using BASF for the last 5 yrs with zero problems and nothings changed but the paint.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

it was about 5 yrs ago, well thats funny we have been using BASF for the last 5 yrs with zero problems and nothings changed but the paint.
Look man I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you about this.. But I can site the exact same situations with BASF customers switching to Sherwin.. So I say again.. It aint the paint man..
Old 02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Every paint company has a cheaper line and the "good" stuff. Sherwin Williams isn't bad i prefer Basf or Dupont but like the above poster said a good painter can make the cheap stuff look good. Don't skimp on material buy the better quality paint.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

not trying to get in a pissing match, but he wanted to know about it so i gave him a honest answer. sorry if it ruffled your feathers as i see you sell it.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I wasn't familiar with the sherwin williams auto stuff.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Our shop shoots PPG on production type or insurance paint work. I would have to say that it is mostly a case of known quantity. It is what most of us shot in school. For show finishes we shoot either House of Kolor or Sikkens -mostly because that is what our airbrush artist likes. My personal favorite though is the Alsa Corp. stuff. I have TRIED to f*** that stuff up shooting it, and can't. lol I don't know why, but it seems to hold up in the sun better than some of the other "show quality" paints.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

not trying to get in a pissing match, but he wanted to know about it so i gave him a honest answer. sorry if it ruffled your feathers as i see you sell it.
i'm not doubting your experiences.. and believe me.. you are far from ruffling my feathers dude.. the internetz are so serious right? haha... but i was responding to your misinformation about our paint and just paint in general.. you can't expect to pick up a gun and spray every paint exactly the same way.. some paints cater to different painters style.. and some don't.. its as simple as that.. the point is ANY paint can look amazing if done properly. I mean i could make a rattle can paint job look killer if i really wanted to take the time to do it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is sherman williams paint any good?