General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 back fires through tail pipe and miss fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 back fires through tail pipe and miss fire

I have had a miss fire problem for a while. It set off random miss code, but not anymore. The car also backfires sometimes out the tail pipe when I coast down a long hill and let off the gas. I have replaced plugs 3x, wires 2x, recent O2s, fuel injectors cleaned. It is an LS1 w/A4 and has been dyno-tuned. Ran great after the tune then slowly started to miss fire. It does not miss fire consistently, but does backfire a lot when off gas with tranny slowing it down and coasting down hill. I've read several threads here, nothing on backfire through tail pipes. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how bad are the backfires?

it may be a leaky injector or something, because the injectors should turn off when you are engine braking meaning no fuel is going into the engine.. which would make it pretty impossible to backfire
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

The backfires are bad...sounds like a gunshot! My passengers get spooked even with the windows up. I guess I'll pick up an injector and try it. I'll be able to check it pretty quickly.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its very simple really, every time you missfire you put a little extra unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Let off the throttle and the exhaust conditions are just right to lite it off and BANG POP. You gotta find what is causing the missfire.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give you a little tip....be sure the spark plugs are clean from greasy finger prints...same with the wires. Always wash your hands before installing the plugs and wires. You can't imagine the difference CLEAN plugs and wires will make in performance and drivablity. I always wipe everything clean when i'm done and leave no dirty finger prints on anything that carries high voltage.

I'm talking clean on the outside of the plugs and wires.