LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need a little advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need a little advise

what should i use to seat my egr block off plates? Should i just get the normal gaskets?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would use the normal gaskets with a thin coat of rtv
Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
what should i use to seat my egr block off plates? Should i just get the normal gaskets?
i took the egr fittings and the egr it self and used cardboard to trace out the template. then cut some metal up to the template and drilled holes. ta da. good looking block off plates
Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No RTV is necessary. The stock gaskets don't use RTV. Trace the outline of the gasket onto a piece of metal and cut it out. Pretty simple.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

I already have the plates, theyr 3/16" Billit aluminum. I just need the gaskets now.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

no gaskets just rtv
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm I would use gaskets instead of RTV. If this was the case then everyone online that sells their block off plates would sell RTV with their plates instead of gaskets.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since there's no where near the heat there anymore, I don't see RTV, cardboard (redneck gasket, but works fine) or gasket paper that you can buy in square sheets, any of them being an issue. It's just to seal the hole now.

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Umm I would use gaskets instead of RTV. If this was the case then everyone online that sells their block off plates would sell RTV with their plates instead of gaskets.
I figure because a 2cent gasket is more cost effective than a 10cent tube of RTV But that is just an arbitrary number of course heh (just to quell those of your who want to jab a thorn in my side about me posting "incorrect info" )
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned

Hubba Bubba always works good too. Big League Chew is my personal favorite though
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hubba Bubba always works good too. Big League Chew is my personal favorite though
lol Never been in a pinch I presume? Mind you, I'm not talking about using a card board box as a temp head gasket Doesn't do too bad for gaskets with a large surface area. I was just making an example though, I don't condone actually using it in his case heh
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula350
Since there's no where near the heat there anymore, I don't see RTV, cardboard (redneck gasket, but works fine) or gasket paper that you can buy in square sheets, any of them being an issue. It's just to seal the hole now.

I figure because a 2cent gasket is more cost effective than a 10cent tube of RTV But that is just an arbitrary number of course heh (just to quell those of your who want to jab a thorn in my side about me posting "incorrect info" )
Looks as if I got screwed by Summit on the RTV I purchased not too long ago
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks as if I got screwed by Summit on the RTV I purchased not too long ago
I am OUTRAGED that they would do such a thing! Lets start a petition

Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

I am OUTRAGED that they would do such a thing! Lets start a petition

lmao..let's do it! by Summit!! JOKE, I don't want folks to take me serious on this one. That Company seriously kicks ***! One of the best places to deal with. In fact I'm sitting on two Schick razors they sent me with some of the goodies I ordered. I don't shave so they are up for sale for $5.50 a piece if anyone is interested
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

wtf seriously, i dont know wich is worse, you selling them or them giving them to you lol. thats funny
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't shave so they are up for sale for $5.50 a piece if anyone is interested
Got a GF? You could always try shaving your

(Hey, I've been told by ladies "You expect us to shave down there, why shouldn't we expect the same?" Tis a fair enough request I think, no? lol)
Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Banned

Got a GF? You could always try shaving your

(Hey, I've been told by ladies "You expect us to shave down there, why shouldn't we expect the same?" Tis a fair enough request I think, no? lol)
HAAAA! Yeah that has disaster written all over it
Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah...let's use cardboard as a gasket. So in a month or two it rots away from ambient moisture (which is present ever single day of your car's very existence both in the outside atmosphere and in the manifold) while still dealing with the intake manifold heat (it still gets VERY hot) and he has to replace it with a new gasket or RTV anyway. Gasket paper is made to resist thermal breakdown and moisture. Have you ever left a cardboard box outside?

Seriously? I mean, seriously?!

If you want to argue that what you advised about the cardboard wasn't necessarily "incorrect" info - well...it's just downright stupid. I think even you can realize that.

Last edited by RamAir95TA; 02-27-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Yeah...let's use cardboard as a gasket. So in a month or two it rots away from ambient moisture (which is present ever single day of your car's very existence both in the outside atmosphere and in the manifold) while still dealing with the intake manifold heat (it still gets VERY hot) and he has to replace it with a new gasket or RTV anyway. Gasket paper is made to resist thermal breakdown and moisture. Have you ever left a cardboard box outside?

Seriously? I mean, seriously?!

If you want to argue that what you advised about the cardboard wasn't necessarily "incorrect" info - well...it's just downright stupid. I think even you can realize that.
Seriously? I mean, seriously?! , just to quote you that is... You didn't bother to read the rest of the thread again apparently. 1) It was simply an example as to the material you could use given the location and so forth. 2) I was not implying that he should do that, as doing such would be a very temporary measure. 3) If you're in a pinch and stranded w/o any proper gasket material (gasket paper or rtv), this can suffice for 10mins to a few hours, whatever it takes to get you home. My buddy has done it, and I can guarantee that he know a hell of a lot more than you ever will. It's not like I or he would EVER EVER do it to someone else's vehicle (ie a customer) and send them on their merry.

And apparently you can't even realize that some info, while not an ideal solution, is actually not incorrect. Sorry you haven't been around enough to know some of the tricks to get things cheaply done, so by all means go ahead and call a friend if you're stranded, or pay for a tow. I'd much rather Redneck it for a few miles

Not asking you to like my ideas, just asking you not to be stupid about it. Again, it was merely a "haha you can use this, but really don't" suggestion. If you consider the users here to be dumb enough to use cardboard as a perminant measure, then you clearly have little faith in your fellow LTx brethren.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

Blah. I used RTV 10k miles ago ( 8 months) and no leaks yet.

D
Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

From gaskets to rtv to cardboard (yes i know it is a temp fix and should never be used if not needed) to shaving ***** (just a bad idea, did it once for a hot chick and it was totally worth it but damn does it itch lol) to an *** ripping. I love this place! lol

Quick Reply: need a little advise