Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

want to buy a headunit..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to buy a headunit..

i have a 01 z28 with the factory headunit with only cd player , no casette or 12 disc changer,.... anyways im tired of not being able to use my ipod through it and my headunit is beggining to give out.. (some lights of the numbers dont work)... im thinking of getting a new headunit anyways since the factory to me looks pretty plain, not looking for the most expensive one .just one that looks good and i can use my ipod through it ...

basically that can...
-play my ipod
-charge ipod (preferably)
-headunit will allow me to use my wheel controls to change music, volume etc
-looks nice

... doesnt have to be the newest top of the line.. i just want to know whats the best one everyone's running so i can start looking around in stereo shops and ebay... any input/ descriptions/pics of headunit will be appreciated.. thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I ended up with a Kenwood KDC-MP3 42U. It has a remote, so you might be able to work it with steering wheel controls, but am not sure. I wanted it because it has auxiliary input in front for my Sirius radio, and has a USB port for Ipod or thumb drives or hard drives with USB connectivity. I originally went with a Clarion DB285USB, but had two different radio's kill my battery overnight, so I switched to the Kenwood. Sound quality is a bit better than the Clarion, but it cost $30 more.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Alpine CDA-9884

Goes very well with our interiors IMO, controls your IPOD (comes with a cable), sounds great, has some pretty good features, and doesn't cost too much (probably about 175 online, with warranty). In order to retain the steering wheel controls you need to buy the PAC steering wheel control module, this applies to any aftermarket head unit.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

^ cool thanks, i might look for the alpine
Old 02-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Launching!

My personal favorite brands are Kenwood Excelon & Alpine. I've owned
both & I never had any problems with either of them. My Alpine head
unit got stolen. I replaced it with the Kenwood Excelon. I kept it for
several years & I transfered it through 3 different cars.

I have had problems however with Sony, Pioneer, JVC, & Jensen.
So pretty much, stay away from wal-mart brands & you should be okay.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just bought an Alpine IDA-X305, it's strictly for IPOD with no cd changer..
Old 03-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default Eclipse

Take a look at the Eclipse CD 3200 or the newer model 5030. USB, Bluetooth, Satalite radio.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just got an Alpine headunit along with a HUmount that reads Trans Am across the top and I couldnt be happier! I love the whole set up! I can use my Ipod, CD player, MP3, Also a USB and Bluetooth! Works great in the car!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

^ which alpine did you get?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

i went earlier to a stereo shop but the guy was extremely busy so i couldnt even talk to him that long, he gave me a for what he said is the best headunit.. he pointed me out a jvc hdr30 ... it would come out to 300 with installation, .... dont know if thats a good price
Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

don't get that HU. It is a discontinued model and if you do some research you will find that the iPOD interface module is unnecessarily HUGE. Just get a newer $200 HU from sonixelectronics or crutchfield or keeaudio which comes with all the installation hardware, ipod cables, wiring harness, adapter plate, etc. and install it yourself, its very, very easy to do. If you get the wiring harness (which is usually free) then you can splice/solder the wires on your kitchen table if you want, then when you go to install the HU just plug in the harness to the stock harness, plug in the antenna using the antenna adapter, bolt it back in and you are set.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
don't get that HU. It is a discontinued model and if you do some research you will find that the iPOD interface module is unnecessarily HUGE. Just get a newer $200 HU from sonixelectronics or crutchfield or keeaudio which comes with all the installation hardware, ipod cables, wiring harness, adapter plate, etc. and install it yourself, its very, very easy to do. If you get the wiring harness (which is usually free) then you can splice/solder the wires on your kitchen table if you want, then when you go to install the HU just plug in the harness to the stock harness, plug in the antenna using the antenna adapter, bolt it back in and you are set.
thanks for the heads up!, thats why im not too sure of just walking into a stereo shop, im looking at the HU you suggested the alpine one, im also thinking of getting this

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-Thunderform-...3%3A1|294%3A50

.. is that pretty good for the price?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just getting all of JVC's new lineup in as well as all the new CLarion HU's in. There are some really cool HU's coming out this year!! I will be updating the site soon with al the new products. If you have a model number in mind let me know and I can get one for you and include the install gear so you can do it yourself in the driveway or wherever in about a half hour or so. Save yourself some money and markup on all the install gear by doingit yourself. It is an easy install on these cars.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

I too am looking for something to use with my Ipod shuffle and still use the factory monsoon amp (for now- but be able to use amps later), nothing full of bells and whistles, but a step up from the factory HU. I've done several radios myself, quite easy I must say. Recommendations? Kee?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend an alpine prly the most user friendly headunits out there, best ipod controls on the market.

as far as for the ipod shuffle u need an auxilary input not an ipod connector fyi
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Snowman2K1:

I have an Alpine cda-9886 for sale... less than 10 hours of use on it....

alpine is awesome when it comes to IPODS....

this one has the alpine connector cable and also has a USB connector...

comes with remote, wire harness, GM wire harness, antenna adaptor (i am including all of these).... also have a headunit mount from my corvette not sure if it will fit yours...

pics can be seen here (look through them, i have a lot of stuff for sale there):
http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/k...0Sale%20Items/

also have some other stereo equipment for sale, speakers and amps...

Rick
Old 03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the c5 corvette dashkit will fit a 97+ Fbody
Old 03-04-2009, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

I chose a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT, because it has GPS, plays iPod and SD, has bluetooth built in (not just a connector for a $100 external device) and it is relatively inexpensive. There are adapters for XM or HD radio and backup camera.

The one down side is that it needs 30s to start when the car is started. I'm not sure whether other stereos are faster.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Cool, so change that to aux front input and a step up from the stock HU with the ability to use the factory amp as well as upgraded amp later. I had issues with Sony Mobil ES's years ago not being as good on FM as my factory HU's.