Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Upgrading LS2: Need Oil Pump & Timing Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading LS2: Need Oil Pump & Timing Chain?

I have an LS2 with about 21K miles on it. I was planning on going to an underdrive pulley, and bought a 2-piece timing cover as a "while I'm at it" mod, although I plan on staying stock H/C for the foreseeable future. I believe LS2 pump = LS6 pump, and LS2 chain > LS1,6 chain, correct me if I'm wrong.

My main question is, if I ever upgraded later, would I REALLY need to upgrade my oil pump and timing chain, or would the stock ones be fine? Could I simply upgrade to a higher strength chain without having to readjust timing or change the cam gear also? Also, is it possible to change the pump on a Corvette LS2 without dropping the oil pan at all?

Info:
-If I upgraded, I would go to a BIG cam, hence the chain question
-This car barely gets driven. If I upgraded, I doubt the H/C would ever see 5K miles total under my ownership.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Upgrade the chain. Go with the Cloyes 9-194 or Katech's C5R chain. Both can run on stock gears. At 21k miles, you stock gears are probably fine, but you can replace them if you want, they aren't expensive. The oil pump is easily removed without dropping the pan...just don't tear that O-ring on re-install or you will hate GM for the next 5hrs while you rip back into the car. Melling has some popular oil pumps that many people upgrade to.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

guys having some trouble finding a single true roller cloyes timing chain kit-i got the cam sensor at the front but none of the cloyes one's i have seen come with a 4x cam gear which i need to run--

http://www.cloyes.com/HighPerformanc...S/Default.aspx

?

Quick Reply: Upgrading LS2: Need Oil Pump & Timing Chain?