Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP PowerFlo CB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SLP PowerFlo CB?

Well its be out for awhile so how does SLP's new PowerFlo CB fit, sound, and
perform? It looks promising. Does anyone have a sound clip?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a vid on slponline....sounds pretty awesome
Old 02-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Default LMII with Powerflow

I have had the LMII alone on the car for a couple years now...I love the sound but the drone on the highway is a little much sometimes.

Had a coupon from SLP around Christmas so I figured I would try the Poweflo conversion, especially since I was adding LT's. Anyway, here are my impressions.

AT IDLE: Very similar sound from both. The Powerflo seems just a hair quieter with a slightly deeper and slightly more subdued/mellow sound. I like both of them equally at idle.

DRIVING: My opinion of the LMII at WOT throttle...Deep sound but has a rawness to it...almost a scream...if that makes any sense. Adding the Powerflo takes that away by deepening and mellowing the sound all around. The Powerflo is more of a deep rumbling growl at WOT. The Powerflo also significantly lessens the highway drone and makes having a conversation or phone call easier.

Here are a couple videos I took the other day.
The first is of the Powerflo.
View Video on FQuick

The second is without the Powerflow. So it is just a LMII with some 14" extensions with turndowns that I later painted black and tucked up so you can't see them so much. They are turndowns so they don't sound as loud since the exhaust isn't blowing straight back toward the camera like the Powerflo video.
View Video on FQuick

My only other thoughts...

1) Since the Powerflow resonators are after the axle it only takes a couple minutes to take them on and off - 1 clamp on each side. I took the video because I was going back to the LMII-alone setup for a while. I was missing the raw sound it gives. I figure if it gets annoying again, or I have to take a longer trip i will probably switch back to the Powerflo. But like i said...it is only two clamps, so switching is simple and quick.

2) The quality of the resonators is really nice. I got the conversion and it all went together pretty nicely. I hammered in the driverside t-top bucket part of the trunk a little bit so I could get the tips better centered. Even looking at SLP's website you can see the driver's side is further out. I got mine evened out though.

3) The resonators come polished, but I ended up painting them flat black since our camaro bumbers slope up and you could see them real easy. didn't want them looking like a fart can off a honda...you don't really notice them once they are painted.

Anyway hope this helps. That is all I can think of.

Last edited by panterx1; 04-20-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Added a couple more comments
Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

f the flopac. love my lm1 more everyday!!!! wakes the neighbores but they say they love the way my beast sounds. just did an SS4000 so it sounds sick at 25 mph, especially with 3.90s in the booty!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the vids. I bought the LM1 back in 2000 for my '99 SS and it was aggressive.
I ended up installing a borla bullet muffler inplace of the resonator and it had a unique sound. I did hear the clip on SLP's site but i was curious if anyonw that had it how they like it as far as power and fit.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, my magnaflow is a little mangled and isn't lining up right ever since I ran over that big peice of concrete, so I think I'm going to try this catback this spring.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Bri...yikes, man sorry to hear about what happened to the magnaflow. I think it's the SLP
CB that i'm gonna go with. I like its design and its sound. And its supposed to be light weight. Probably alot lighter than a Borla which i used for years.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

panterx1,
Thx for the sound clips...they both sound good But no doubt that the
PowerFlo system has a nice deep rumble like a muscle car should have. Plus it's got
no rasp at all, a major plus..thanks again..BTW, nice car..what cam you got in there?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

No big deal Dennis... it was the summer of 2006 and we had a heat wave and the concrete had buckled and I didn't see it in the road till I went to pass someone and ran over a huge chuck of concrete. It split a wheel in half (19" wheels and tires don't have much sidewall flex) and the concrete did a number on a couple header primaries, my ypipe and then caught the front of the magnaflow muffler and bent it.

I've just recently noticed the extent of the damage having the car on the lift.

SOOO a new catback is in my future and I like the sounds of the powerflo.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Oh man that concrete did one hell of a job on your car Damn dude
now i'm real sorry to hear about it. I always liked your car, plus you and your
wife threw good summer parties I bet the SLP system will sound good on your car. I've been back in contact with Joe. And i was running the idea across him about him tweaking me a set of LS2 heads and i'm thinking about running a 222/228 115lsa just on the XE lobes, then i might FINALLY install my new D1SC kit at 8#'s. Nothing to high on boost. Or sell the blower and install fully ported heads and a Predator-Z spec'd cam. But we'll see. But like you i think the SLP exhaust is a good choice. Good luck with your car in the future as well. take care boss.

Oh BTW...you have HPT right? How do you like it? I used Tommy's HPT and i thought it was good. But i know you did your own tuning and wanted your input. Thanks Bri.

Den
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I like HPtuners.... works well, and there is a great forum for help when you get stuck.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
panterx1,
Thx for the sound clips...they both sound good But no doubt that the
PowerFlo system has a nice deep rumble like a muscle car should have. Plus it's got
no rasp at all, a major plus..thanks again..BTW, nice car..what cam you got in there?
No problem, glad it helped.
And i am still stock cammed for now...
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Cool thx.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by panterx1
I have had the LMII alone on the car for a couple years now...I love the sound but the drone on the highway is a little much sometimes.

Had a coupon from SLP around Christmas so I figured I would try the Poweflo conversion, especially since I was adding LT's. Anyway, here are my impressions..
sweet vids man. do u still have cats on it? i am looking at the power flo for my ta to replace the magnaflow i currently have, but i dont have cats.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Too expensive imo
Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Yes the videos are with a catted Y.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Same setup as panter's but with SLP D/D - very similar sounding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc9Aw...e=channel_page
Just for reference
Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the videos Panther. I'm considering adding the PowerFlo to my LM1 setup.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I converted mine about 2 weeks ago. Video on youtube

Quick Reply: SLP PowerFlo CB?