General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VATS people, I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS people, I need your help

A few days ago my security light came on, and now comes on everytime I drive my car. Looking up previous threads led me to believe that my lock cylinder vats was going to die soon, so I decided to do the bypass vats mod.

Well, tonight I took of the panel under the dash and located the wires. I had the proper resistor ready to connect to the vats wires and everything. So I unplugged the wires, and just out of curiosity I tried to start the car..... and it started. So what's going on. Must be that the problem isn't in reading the key from the lock cylinder. Seems like it's maybe the vats computer? What gives? I shouldn't be able to start the car with the vats harness not even connected....

Last edited by Google; 02-27-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:58 PM
wrencher

There is an issue with the vats system. Only a capable scan tool can tell you the code/reason for security light illumination. It is possible there is a VATS issue on the BCM side.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
There is an issue with the vats system. Only a capable scan tool can tell you the code/reason for security light illumination. It is possible there is a VATS issue on the BCM side.
thats understandable, but still without putting the resistor in and disconnecting the wires, it should NOT start at all, right?
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
wrencher

It shouldn't start. Someone could have turned the VATS section off in the PCM though enabling it to still start & run.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the security light was still on maybe BCM is in "fault enable mode", saw a good reading when it failed, with the car running. Did the light go off after bypassing it?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Google
A few days ago my security light came on, and now comes on everytime I drive my car. Looking up previous threads led me to believe that my lock cylinder vats was going to die soon, so I decided to do the bypass vats mod.

Well, tonight I took of the panel under the dash and located the wires. I had the proper resistor ready to connect to the vats wires and everything. So I unplugged the wires, and just out of curiosity I tried to start the car..... and it started. So what's going on. Must be that the problem isn't in reading the key from the lock cylinder. Seems like it's maybe the vats computer? What gives? I shouldn't be able to start the car with the vats harness not even connected....
mines been on since i bought it 15months ago