Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

C5 mirror on WS6.....how to? Shane are you around?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 mirror on WS6.....how to? Shane are you around?

Ever since i saw shanes car a while back, ive wanted to do this! I think they look great and give a nice subtle, custom touch. Anyone know how to do this?

Shanes post;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...irrors-ta.html

From a long time ago lol. He put his car up for sale in 2006 so i dont know if hes still around....but even so, he paid someone to do them and couldnt explain how to do it.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's now that hard

worst part is figuring out which wires correlate to our fbdy mirror.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

yesalways loved that idea, would definitely do it if i was repainting remodding the car.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

If you decide to go through with the "swap", don't forget to take plenty of pics. I'm sure I a not the only one who'd be interested in doing this with a picture how-to guide!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i drew out a pretty good "cage" to support them, and my buddy said he could weld it up for about $10 worth of material, and we figured out how to mount it etc. But the mirrors themselves are about $150 each! Plus im horrible at wiring so it would be a nightmare to figure out! I think i'll do it but in the end its kind of xpensive for just mirrors. I may look around for other mirrors to use. Any imput on wiring would help me out!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

See if you can find the wiring diagram on the net for both cars. After that, it's just a little solder and some heat shrink til there fully functional and on your car
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt do it but to each his own
Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry...... but I think the stockers look better.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I sold the car in 2006...then bought it back in 2007.

I did hire a shop to do it, but there were basically 3 parts to the whole deal, in order of difficulty:
1. Fabricate a bracket to go inside the door for the 'vette mirror to mount to.
2. Fabricate a metal plate (with studs welded on the back) to mount where the stock mirror mounted.
3. Wire 'em up.

The wiring seemed pretty straightforward. I had gotten a wiring diagram off one of the corvette forums (same place I was able to get mirrors fairly cheap). All we wired up were the ones that matched up with the TA mirror - anything else was just left disconnected. I had planned on doing the wiring myself, and just having the custom shop mount them, but they ended up doing it all.

It still seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing - but in reality, most people don't even notice them. Even f-body folks.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

another similar mirror is the 93-95 RX7 mirror, almost the exact same shape, and attaches to the same area on the door. might be an option if the vette ones are too expensive.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shane
Yeah, I sold the car in 2006...then bought it back in 2007.

I did hire a shop to do it, but there were basically 3 parts to the whole deal, in order of difficulty:
1. Fabricate a bracket to go inside the door for the 'vette mirror to mount to.
2. Fabricate a metal plate (with studs welded on the back) to mount where the stock mirror mounted.
3. Wire 'em up.

The wiring seemed pretty straightforward. I had gotten a wiring diagram off one of the corvette forums (same place I was able to get mirrors fairly cheap). All we wired up were the ones that matched up with the TA mirror - anything else was just left disconnected. I had planned on doing the wiring myself, and just having the custom shop mount them, but they ended up doing it all.

It still seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing - but in reality, most people don't even notice them. Even f-body folks.

Good luck!
Hey Shane, thanks for posting! I kinda nailed it down as far as what to do now, i just need to start looking for those diagrams. A buddy i was talking to said i could gut the C5 mirrors and retro fit the TA internals but i think that sounds like more work!

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
another similar mirror is the 93-95 RX7 mirror, almost the exact same shape, and attaches to the same area on the door. might be an option if the vette ones are too expensive.
Hmmm.....i'll look into them, thanks

Quick Reply: C5 mirror on WS6.....how to? Shane are you around?