General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security indicator problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security indicator problem

I have an annoying problem with my 2001 Camaro SS. On the ICP in the upper right hand corner there is a security indicator. Mine will not shut off!! It is always on, key on engine off or key on engine on. It doesn’t matter. The factory alarm works fine. There is no other aftermarket security device on the vehicle. I plugged in a Tech II and it said that the system is good, no faults. If you can help me and what you say works, YOU ARE A BAD-***!!! Thank you for your time.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem, except mine is random. sometimes its on sometimes its off. same here too, no codes, alarm works fine. only thin i could this is the little devise in the back of my car is just hanging there banging around when driving. i think thats my problem.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Mine started when the resistor in the ignition key wore out. It got where I had trouble starting the car until I went back to the dealer for a new key. Now it's on all the time so I ignore it.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem its always a solid light too. I havent had any problems so far so havent bothered investigating it. I also put the tech II on it too see if it would pick up on it and mine said there was nothing everything was good as well. Just something I gotta deal with I guess.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

yep yep mine came on about a month and a half ago same thing i put my code scanner on and it came up with nothing sometimes before i start my car if i turn the key back instead of frount to start the car and let it set for about 30 secounds itll go off but after driving for less then 5 minutes its back on.....
Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97T/A LT1
Mine started when the resistor in the ignition key wore out. It got where I had trouble starting the car until I went back to the dealer for a new key. Now it's on all the time so I ignore it.
hmm i have a brand new key, im going to try that out and see if it fixes the problem.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Security light on means a VATS issue, car isn't recognizing the resistance value of the key - most likely the small wire(s) in the ignition cyl are broken. Try a VATS bypass and see if the light turns off.