Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting my car need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Painting my car need help

this is not for my t/a but my saturn its my dd its a 98 sc1 2door coupe. really smally car and looks easy to paint not much to tape off and it doesnt need body work. its gold now i just hate the color i wanna paint it gloss or flat black. whats the easyiest cheapest way to do this. it doesnt have to be the best paint job nothing professional just something that looks ok and wont peel or chip im not to worried about quality of it as long as it holds up. im just painting exerior not the engine bay or do jams. so how could i do this what kind of prep sanding paint and clear
thanks
Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maaco will be the cheapest way to go have them paint the outside then you use a spray can to paint the trim. That would be the best way, anything else will cost you about 300-400 in equipment and paint alone, unless you want to be one of those people that uses a spray can to paint your car. The only other option you have is fine a shop that will allow you to rent out their paint booth and gun then you can get all the paint and stuff you need for between 200-400 depending on the quality of paint.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate to bring it to maaco even though ive never painted a car i know ill take more time and be careful cant you get like a spray gun for like 30-50 bucks then just get the paint and clear and shoot it i have like a 5 gallon compressor i dont know if its big enough
Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by therobman
i hate to bring it to maaco even though ive never painted a car i know ill take more time and be careful cant you get like a spray gun for like 30-50 bucks then just get the paint and clear and shoot it i have like a 5 gallon compressor i dont know if its big enough
I've been painting cars for almost 10yrs. now professionally. Now what I'm reccommending is the cheepest route:

The cheep guns are just that cheep. It's really hard to get a decient paint job with one, since your having to try and pound material on all the while making an enoumous cloud of overspray. I would go to a local automotive paint store and get a Devilbiss "Starting Line" paint gun. they are fairly cheep "$100 maybe a lil more" and supprizingly spray rether well. I do some side work, not much and if do it's usually just couple panels and all I have at home is a Craftsman 5.5HP 30gal. A/C and it pays hell just trying to keep up spraying a bumper and a 1/4 panel. Your cheepest route route for paint, IMO, if you wanna go basecoat/clearcoat would be getting like some OMNI basecoat and OMNI MC260 clearcoat, OMNI is an off brand of PPG so you'll have to find a store the sells PPG. You could use a single stage paint but the over spray sticks to everyting and OMNI sucks cause it stinks and will continue to stink for days even months after you spray it, and stays tacky for quite a while too, but it's rather inexpencive. Another thing, all your body panels just unbolt you should be able to take just about every panel off and paint it so you can get the jambs. As for prepwork, wash the car really well with warm soapy water with DAWN dishsoap. Dry it very well. I'd just buy a box of "Mirka" red sctoch bites and scuff the living **** out of it, just remember, if it still shiny the paint won't stick. Then wipe it down with a precleaner(mild wax and greese remover) before you paint, painters pride makes a good cheep precleaner be. All together doing it your self, Materials are gonna run you around $500 or a little less. That's including buying the affore mentioned paint gun, basecoat and reducer, clearcoat and hardener, red scotch brites. Thats not even including masking paper and tape, DO NOT USE NEWSPAPER it will bleed through.

Or like someone mentioned, MAACO, it would be your cheepest route. If you wanna go this way I'd do all the prep work your self. Buy some scotch brites, scuff the car youself. Get some masking tape and tape off off all your window seals and stuff and take it to them. The main reason for MAACO paint jobs not holding up it that they don't do any prep work what so ever, no scuff, no sanding no nothing. So doing all the prep work your self, it should actually hold up fairly well.

Last edited by cvalliere; 03-01-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

^ good info!!

Quick Reply: Painting my car need help