Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mounts question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mounts question.

How long should installing new motor mounts take at a good shop? For those that did it, how long did it take? I am doing a header / Yp, and might do motor mounts as well as I hear it takes away the banging issues.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Alldata gives a standard pay time of 3 hours. Figure a competant individual that knows what their doing to do it in under 2hours.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by iansane
Alldata gives a standard pay time of 3 hours. Figure a competant individual that knows what their doing to do it in under 2hours.
you show me someone who can change them in less then two hours and i will hand you $1000 out of my wallet.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

You have a lift? It's f'ing easy. Alldata gives shop pay time. You understand what that means? In case not, that means what a tech gets payed (time wise for a job) How many techs do you know that are happy with getting the job done within the allotted time versus getting it done under time?

I said a competent, knowing individual.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
you show me someone who can change them in less then two hours and i will hand you $1000 out of my wallet.
I'm with this guy. I bet it would be hard to find someone that could do one side in 2 hours.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by iansane
You have a lift? It's f'ing easy. Alldata gives shop pay time. You understand what that means? In case not, that means what a tech gets payed (time wise for a job) How many techs do you know that are happy with getting the job done within the allotted time versus getting it done under time?

I said a competent, knowing individual.
you are an idiot....have you ever even done a set of motor mounts? i have and im very competent and knowledgeable. i never said they were difficult but they are kind of a pain in the *** with full accs in the way as well as manifolds. and yes i know what the hell shop labor rates are. like i said, show me someone who can do it under 2 hours and i will hand you a thousand bucks.........
Old 03-01-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

you are an idiot....have you ever even done a set of motor mounts? i have and im very competent and knowledgeable and i know what the hell shop labor rates are. like i said, show me someone who can do it under 2 hours and i will hand you a thousand bucks.........
Okay. Whatever. I think even the newbie techs can do motor mounts in 2 hours. You do realize we're talking about guys with air tools, lifts and proper knowhow; not ******* sticks and rocks--right?

You're not going to find someone that wants to get PAYED for 2 hours of labor for this job but I can guarantee every tech in my shop can do the work in two hours. You're arguing about mechanical ability on the internet; do you realize how stupid that is? Bottom line, the dealership I work at, has payed techs that do the job in 2 hours--and get payed for 3-4 hours. Believe it or not, I could care less.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

fwiw my shop charged me for 2 hours,but headers were coming off since I was replacing my old ones with 1 7/8 hookers
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It took me about two and half to install my Spohn solids. I am mechanic and it was done on a lift with air tools but it was also my first time doing it. Give me a couple more sets I can have it done in less than 2.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...or-mounts.html
Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Im with iansane and Grifter. If your doing headers anyway it shouldn't take much longer to do mounts too.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

you are an idiot....have you ever even done a set of motor mounts? i have and im very competent and knowledgeable. i never said they were difficult but they are kind of a pain in the *** with full accs in the way as well as manifolds. and yes i know what the hell shop labor rates are. like i said, show me someone who can do it under 2 hours and i will hand you a thousand bucks.........
About my $1000....
Old 03-01-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you. my buddy installed them for me. He has his own shop with a lift, owns an LT1 Formula WS6 and it took him about 5 hours
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Launching!

I just did them, and the mounts themselves only took me a combined total of about two hours to do. HOWEVER, what was required for me to make it that easy was to remove the headers, alternator, starter and ac compressor. Plus add another half-hour to prep the new polys. I did this on the floor or a garage. The hardest part was a.) breaking the bolts loose on the mount-to-block side. That was a total PITA cause they are in there REAL good. and b.) aligning the last mount bolt holes to the block. Lining up the pedestal holes was the easiest part rofl.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are also a lot variables. What kind of headers, do they have headers, tools, experience, lift, etc. Before doing the install and reading reviews I thought I was in for a nightmare job. I atcually took a day off work, brought in my car and did the install. So I basically lost a vacation day haha.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you change them when the headers or exhaust manifolds are off the car you can swap them out in a few hours. Add some time if your doing the poly mounts for swapping the poly for the rubber. Not sure how long it would take if manifolds are on the car, but with headers on I don't think there is any way to do in in a few hours. More like 4 - 5.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two hours? I think not. I would say if all goes well you could get this done in an afternoon. That is, if you have already removed the manifolds or headers. If not, add another couple hours at least. There's alot of **** to get outta the way before you get to the mounts. Also, as was mentioned in a previous post, the mount to block bolts are really tight. Be carefull not to twist one off, otherwise it becomes an all weekend project. I've been there. Its not a whole lotta fun.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I think that it would be an extremely good idea to change the motor mounts while you have the headers out of the way. Otherwise, you will be removing the headers a second time to switch them out.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSXDoc
I think that it would be an extremely good idea to change the motor mounts while you have the headers out of the way. Otherwise, you will be removing the headers a second time to switch them out.
i was able to do mine w the headers still in the car. the driver side was so tight i could even get my fingers to the two rearward mount to block bolts. i ended up welding a piece of rod to a couple open end wrenches so i could snake it in there to undo them.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I wrote above, every car and situation is different but just because you didn't get them done in X hours doesn't mean it can't be done. I've had friends of mine ask me to help them with their car, sometimes with problems that they have had trouble with for days just messing around with it in their driveways. I go over there and get it done in minutes. I'm not bragging or saying I am a better mechanic than them, but when you do it for a living it comes more naturally, you tend approach the problem from a different angle. So for some of you to say it's not possible is alittle absurd. I try to read as much as I can from this site because it is full of great information and insight but it's not always correct.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Launching!

i was able to do mine w the headers still in the car. the driver side was so tight i could even get my fingers to the two rearward mount to block bolts. i ended up welding a piece of rod to a couple open end wrenches so i could snake it in there to undo them.
It is ridiculously tight lol. I just removed the headers. Now that I know how to do them it doesn't take long at all. The only problem I had was the slipfit y pipe was fused to the collector, but I cut it and I'm gonna flange the system for an even easier removal next time IMHO it saves one time and frustration by just removing the headers.