Paint & Body Work - Front Bumper Swap Difficulty

View Full Version : Front Bumper Swap Difficulty

MAYH3M
03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
So, I hit a freakin' raccoon and it tore apart the bottom part of my passenger side front bumper, along with bending my fog light.

I found a brand new bumper on ebay prepainted to factory color for around $270. Seeing as how I've never done body work, how hard is it to do a front bumper swap? How long should it take and would I have to remove the Washer Fluid Reservoir?

Thanks guys

blindxeyed
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Mine only takes about 15 minutes to take off. Took me about 30-40 minutes the first time though. You're definitely going to want to buy a panel clip removal tool from an auto parts store. That will save you a lot of time and hassle with the annoying little plastic push in clips.

hbgben
03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
x2 for the tool

therobman
03-01-2009, 04:44 PM
easy you wont need the tool just a ratchet set and a pair of pliers

blindxeyed
03-01-2009, 06:57 PM
easy you wont need the tool just a ratchet set and a pair of pliers
Tried it that way, it easily damages the clips. If you want to keep them in good condition, without getting all chewed up from the pliers, then the clip removal tool would be very handy to have.

TheSilverOne
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
a proper size flat head screwdriver works as well. you don't need to remove the winshield washer fluid tank to swap front bumper covers. also, i bet the paint won't match.

MAYH3M
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
also, i bet the paint won't match.
Why do you say that?

As for the clip remover, I already have one but thank you :)

nemss1
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
paint fades in sunlight over time and the bumper u have found is newly painted

really easy to remove the bumper cover

Raven02TA
03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
paint fades in sunlight over time and the bumper u have found is newly painted

really easy to remove the bumper cover

not if he takes good care of his paint.... ie: periodical waxing and polishing

SparkyJJO
03-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Depends on the color too. Mine is hard to match (MTM), so my prepainted fender I got isn't exact but other colors may be easier.

BradsLS1
03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I bet it won't match. But it all depends on your color really. But most of the time it won't because a lot of times having the same paint code doesn't mean crap. It all depends on a lot of things. If the paint was shot with a different air pressure, number of coats and even Temp can change things a lot. Especially light colors. If it is a darker color than you might have a chance. I would never pay extra for someone to shoot a panel for me unless they have my car to see and shoot to match. You can have two cars the same color next to each other and you may see subtle differences between the two. One may be a little darker then the next. And like said before weather fades colors.

MAYH3M
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Well, my car is painted black. But, I was just reading a thread that says bumpers from ebay don't fit properly.

I don't want to shell out like $280 for a bumper that wont fit properly and the color wont match.

cvalliere
03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
They want $280 for a prepainted bumper cover on ebay!!!???? That is fuckin' cheep, I bet it will peel and have cracks in it. Shit just using a reconditioned bumper and painting it at work would cost almost a grand. I wouldn't buy it. save your money or turn it into you ins. co. and have it done right.