Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blown sail panel sub

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown sail panel sub

OK, so ive been doing a ton of searching and havent really come up with the solution im looking for. I just blew a sail panel sub in my T/A. Now, I understand its a dual voice coil and has 4 wires, on the back of the speaker it says 4ohm/4ohm. Im guessing this means each voice coil has 4ohms each. My question is, is it possible to install a regular 4 ohm speaker that will handle higher RMS and wire both positive wires to the one positive terminal on the speaker and do the same for the negative. Or can you get away with just using two of the wires in each connector? Im asking because Im going on a trip in the next couple days and I want to find something locally I can use, I dont think an internet order will be here soon enough. Or should I just leave it unplugged for now until I can get a set up from KeeAudio? Thanks in advance for the help
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'd suggest unplugging it and wait for the right part. Plus, if you still have one working, you can still get full sound, except the bass will just be light overall.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

I'm in the same boat! I've searched and searched and finally have decided to try and contact KeeAudio to get his replacements. I would just unplug it and wait.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is not a good idea to connect both amplifier channels to one set of speaker connections. In effect, that is bridging the channels of an amp that isn't designed for bridging.

You could just hook up one channel and leave the other disconnected. That would cut your total power to each sub in half which results in a 3dB drop in volume - noticeable but not that much. (It takes a 10x change in power to cause a 2x change in volume... e.g. reducing a 300W amp to 30W would cut the volume in half.)
Old 03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairhead
I'm in the same boat! I've searched and searched and finally have decided to try and contact KeeAudio to get his replacements. I would just unplug it and wait.
If you get a pair from them i would buy the other good one you have now because i have one that is blown. Also it is my understanding that the resson they went to dvc on these cars was to get a mono bass instead of stereo. You get your depth from the midbass drivers in the doors. Plus the lower the freequancy the less directional it is. You guys ever listen to a 4th gen monsoon with a 8 inch sas tube with built in amp thats waht i have and it is the **** for its size.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Very interesting thoughts, I think im just going to leave it unplugged for now and wait till I can get the good ones. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pmbmax
If you get a pair from them i would buy the other good one you have now because i have one that is blown. Also it is my understanding that the resson they went to dvc on these cars was to get a mono bass instead of stereo. You get your depth from the midbass drivers in the doors. Plus the lower the freequancy the less directional it is. You guys ever listen to a 4th gen monsoon with a 8 inch sas tube with built in amp thats waht i have and it is the **** for its size.
Sure thing, as soon as I get the replacements in it will be available.