Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall questions

Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stall questions

Ok, I got quite a few questions about stalls that I am looking for the answers to...I believe I have a transmission leak from the area of the converter, and I may need to have work done there in the future...so if I am going to go in there, I mine as well stall it now...so here it goes

1) My car is a 96 3.8Lcamaro with mods in my sig...I use it as a daily driver, and require it to continue to be a daily driver...I take it to the track in the summer maybe once a month I have read various torque converter company sites and the info they have on there...but what size stall do you think would be best for my application?

2) and more importantly...lets say I get something like a 3500 stall...When I drive on the highway, I only rev at 2700rpm...does this mean (because the trans wont fully engage until 3500rpm) that I will really be heating up the fluid and will risk damaging either the trans or converter when I am on the highway?

3) What is a good STR I should be looking at getting on my stall...I have heard that higher is not necessarily better as it means that the converter is actually less efficient up top, and you therefore loose more power up there...

4) what will I need to tune or change in the tune when I install a stall?

5) What are all the parts I need in order to have this job done...TC, tranny cooler, which gaskets? and what else?

Thanks in advance guys...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

bump...The first question might be a pretty generic question that is over asked...but the other 4 are pretty legit questions that are not covered in the stickies?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

We would recomend our SRLS0086 billet 9.5" as it drives virtualy stock when daily driving but when you nail it hang on. This converter has an str of 1.8. It will reduce your et by 7-8 tenths alone with no other mods. We have a special on this converter for LS board users so give us a call at 1-8656-726-8358 and we can help you.Our converters come with a three year warranty as well.
Thanks,
Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

will this work with the 3.8L's 4l60e...I know there is some subtle differences...
Old 03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't go higher than a 3k stall on a 3.8L.

And for your highway question, as long as you get a converter with lockup and it is locked up while you are cruising, which at 2700rpm in overdrive it should be locked up, you will be fine.

Yes definitely get an external oil-to-air tranny cooler.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Needs a tranny cooler and tune so lockup speed can be set and shift points be set because the stall usually throws them off.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

perfect...now the tune for a stall...is it a pretty generic one? i.e would I more or less be able to copy a table off of someone with the same size stall as me? or is this something that would be car specific just like maf/fuel/spark type tuning? Im still feeling out hp tuners, just getting used to the maf tuning...not even sure where to start to tune for a stall when I get it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stall questions