Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bias-ply w/ radials ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bias-ply w/ radials ??????????

I know that mixing the two is a no-no. But many of use still do, like me. I had too many close calls with the car wandering around at high speeds and now it's time to fix it. I never driven a car before with bias-ply tires on all four corners. And was wondering is there any differance in the way bias-ply tires drive vs. radials? I really want to go with all radials but I run a M6 trans and have heard nothing but complaints on how they don't hook with manual trans. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
11Second Club

I've never tried M/T ET Street radials before, but I know my Nittos never hooked well enough to get out of the 1.7 60' range when I was putting down 400RWHP. Now that it's 650, I shudder to think of what would happen. I'll stick with my 12" M&H slicks.

As for the bias-ply fronts, I had the same problem driving dad's Nova (high 9 car in perfect weather). We were running 9" M/T slicks and some kind of radial front tire, and the car would sway back and forth in the back (as slicks always seem to do), but the radial tires wouldn't sway with the slicks. Instead of the whole car swaying back and forth, the front tires would cut thus turning the car left and right. As I went down the track the car oscillated left and right until it finally got enough out of shape that I had to get out of it.

When we got the bias-ply fronts, the problem went away. The car sways left and right for a second after the leave (mostly just from steering adjustments), and then it goes away. The front sways with the back instead of cutting and turning.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Good thats kinda what I wanted to hear.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've run a radial rear tire with a bias ply front, and that was fine ( goodyear DR and a m/t sportsman front) and after probably 70 10 second passes I never at any point felt unsafe in the car.

I've run a bias ply tire with a radial front (et street rear) and stock 17 inch fronts, the back walked around a little but it never felt out of control, but this was at a slow bottom 12 second speed.

Now with moroso ds-2 fronts and et drags on the back @ 140 I don't feel unsafe at all, car moves around a little but it's nothing I wouldn't expect, I don't drive the car hardly at all going down the track, I just let it do it's thing and hold thw wheel strait and it tracks fine.

You'll get in more trouble if you start trying to steer the car back strait while it's walking around then if you just let the car do it's thing and ride it out. I'm not telling you not to lift if you don't feel safe, but don't go trying to counter steer every little movement the car makes. Get a feel for the car on a slow pass before running it all out if need be.

If the car's alignment and whatnot are right, the car should feel nice and stable the entire pass. If it's walking around bad, then you may have an alignment issue.

I agree with the M6 and bias ply tire as well, a radial tire with a stick doesn't work for **** on about 99.99% of the cars out there. There's a few guys I'm sure that are getting it to work with fast cars, but I guarintee they are running a special $2000+ racing slipper type clutch, not your run of the mill spec or anything like that
Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

I had serious instability when I ran MT ET Street (bias ply) but when I switched to some Hoosier QTP's (bias ply also) my car has never been more stable. Both were with some cheap radial front runners.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Now with moroso ds-2 fronts and et drags on the back @ 140 I don't feel unsafe at all, car moves around a little but it's nothing I wouldn't expect, I don't drive the car hardly at all going down the track, I just let it do it's thing and hold thw wheel strait and it tracks fine.
Those moroso front tires are what I planned on running up front. I can deal with a little wiggle. I too let the car go on it own path and it's pretty straight but ever once in awhile things get a little to hairy for me. I thought it was my alignment causing that so I went to two different alignment shops to verify it wasn't. Anyways thanks for your input and i'll give those front bias-ply tires a shot.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing that you can do to keep teh car more stable is kick a few degrees of caster into the front end. That helps at speed alot.

The DS2 and a bias ply rear will get it done for ya I'm sure.

Quick Reply: bias-ply w/ radials ??????????