Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Which Heads

OK guys, My motor is together and was going to be using stock 806 casting heads port & polished with 1.57 & 2.02 valves....but am thinking I want to go ahead and get a nice set of heads while I still have a chance. I have a 224/228 112 lsa cam / fast 92 / flp headers / comp pro mag 1.75 rockers / pro mag lifters / comp springs, pushrods / performabuilt level 2 tranny / arp everything / all new bearings, rings, oil pump.....so I guess I would be looking for some good heads for this setup maybe with a little room to grow in the future as well. I'll also be going with a shot of direct port nitrous haven't decided on what system yet. Please let me know your thoughts Thanks!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Come on guys any sponsers? who wants to sell me some heads
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

um...not totally sure what you want to hear.

yes aftermarket heads will be better.

try the TFS 215s, or even the "as cast" 220s, or maybe the AFR 205s.

both put out sick numbers.

and by "room to grow" do you mean more cubes or just additional porting?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the 806s were done by someone that knows what they are doing i would keep them. they can flow just like all of the other ported stock castings. then you could save up for the tfs or afrs. it would save $2k+ for later down the road when you go for bigger cubes.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

So with stock cubes ported and polished 806's with upgraded valves won't hurt my numbers any?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sroach20
if the 806s were done by someone that knows what they are doing i would keep them. they can flow just like all of the other ported stock castings. then you could save up for the tfs or afrs. it would save $2k+ for later down the road when you go for bigger cubes.

Yeah, but then you are buying 2 sets of heads....paying to have the stock one's ported, THEN buy another set later down the road.

I like the AFR's and TFS heads (CC really depending on what your final goal is)
If you think you want 500 HP, then plan on something for 600 because before long, that is what you end up doing, MORE POWER. I mean, you may be a conservative guy, and that might not be the right direction for you. But, most times, you end up wanting more. Happens more ofter than not.

I personally hate going backwards, and try and overkill as much as possible, that way I do not have to change something I had already replaced before.

That is why I went full kill on teh shaft rockers from T&D for my solid roller setup. I COULD have spent a little less now, and ran a hydraulic roller with alot less spring pressure and used a stock bolt type rocker (I am running the L92's and the mounting bolt for teh rockers is itsy bitty) but I did not want to buy a cam, lifters, and rockers for something I would have changed in 6 months to a year anyway. So, now I am paying to have my heads machined for teh bigger (7/16") hold down bolt and the shaft T&D's. More money now, but less in teh long run.

That being said, IF I was to do it again, (this is what I am talking about) I would have skipped the L92's and went straight TFS 235's. As much as you plan on changing, there is ALWAYS gonna be regrets or wished you did this or that instead.

Good luck, sounds like a real nice combo you got going on!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i read it i thought he meant already ported.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Yea their not ported yet but I did purchase the valves for around $250
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Teching In

So what if I plan on staying stock cubes for awhile....well at least until my motor craps on me....I mean I have 2K to spend but I'm not one to just blow money....My goal was 450rwhp I'm not sure if this is a realistic goal with my setup or not but what I do know is that I've put alot of good parts in my motor...with this combo is that goal realistic? or would I have to take it a step further with some nice heads? I really don't know what I'm missing..let me know what you think!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen414
Yeah, but then you are buying 2 sets of heads....paying to have the stock one's ported, THEN buy another set later down the road.

I like the AFR's and TFS heads (CC really depending on what your final goal is)
If you think you want 500 HP, then plan on something for 600 because before long, that is what you end up doing, MORE POWER. I mean, you may be a conservative guy, and that might not be the right direction for you. But, most times, you end up wanting more. Happens more ofter than not.

I personally hate going backwards, and try and overkill as much as possible, that way I do not have to change something I had already replaced before.

That is why I went full kill on teh shaft rockers from T&D for my solid roller setup. I COULD have spent a little less now, and ran a hydraulic roller with alot less spring pressure and used a stock bolt type rocker (I am running the L92's and the mounting bolt for teh rockers is itsy bitty) but I did not want to buy a cam, lifters, and rockers for something I would have changed in 6 months to a year anyway. So, now I am paying to have my heads machined for teh bigger (7/16") hold down bolt and the shaft T&D's. More money now, but less in teh long run.

That being said, IF I was to do it again, (this is what I am talking about) I would have skipped the L92's and went straight TFS 235's. As much as you plan on changing, there is ALWAYS gonna be regrets or wished you did this or that instead.

Good luck, sounds like a real nice combo you got going on!
Gen414-.....Those heads can also be very finicky and don't seem to get a long with many diffferent cams. You might wanna give Richard at WCCH a call as I know he has lots of experince with these L92/Cam combos and have seen some wicked setups he has put together. Worth a phone call at least

To the OP sorry for the hijack.......

You got good advice on the AFR/TFS and Carey who designrd ETP's is back in business under a new name so I would consider these three stongly. A well ported 243 would be the best of OEM.'s A hint.... a sponsor might not do the best 243 portwork. Pm me if your curious...

Last edited by SOMbitch; 03-02-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Gen414-.....Those heads can also be very finicky and don't seem to get a long with many diffferent cams. You might wanna give Richard at WCCH a call as I know he has lots of experince with these L92/Cam combos and have seen some wicked setups he has put together. Worth a phone call at least

Thanks for the heads up, and something that was looked at here not too long ago. My machine shop flowed a head to see what was up with it, and they have talked with Judson (SAM) and he recommended Bullet Cams, so they have been working with Bullet on this. We are hoping to have the machine work done in teh next couple weeks so I can assemble it, then take it back up there so we can dyno it. I am working on my headers and I need to get them sent out to get coated after I am done, and we are hoping for 700+ FWHP.
I think it will make an easy 700 FWHP (12:1, 414", L'92's, solid roller, 1050 Dominator, sheetmetal intake) and should be in teh 700-725 range.

We'll see....

Sorry for the:

And yes, Cary is another one not to be counted out...AFR/TFS/Cary (ETP)
Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by sroach20
when i read it i thought he meant already ported.

No worries
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cm1273
So what if I plan on staying stock cubes for awhile....well at least until my motor craps on me....I mean I have 2K to spend but I'm not one to just blow money....My goal was 450rwhp I'm not sure if this is a realistic goal with my setup or not but what I do know is that I've put alot of good parts in my motor...with this combo is that goal realistic? or would I have to take it a step further with some nice heads? I really don't know what I'm missing..let me know what you think!

You can get 450rwhp with ported stock heads, sure. Is that what you are asking?
Again, if you plan on upgrading later on down, I would not spend the money on ported stock heads, ESPECIALLY if you plan on upsizing in cubes. Bigger motor, needs more flow (bigger heads). If you have $2k now, I would save a couple/few hundered more, and get a killer set of heads (again, TFS/AFR/Cary (etp)) and call it done.
That way, when you go bigger (CI) you already have the heads to support it.