Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install...Do I have everything I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Header install...Do I have everything I need?

After tossing around the idea that I might sell the TransAm and get something more refined; like a BMW 3-series, Lexus IS350......I decided I liked not having a car payment waaay to much.

So I am going to fix all of the annoying things that go wrong with these cars and upgrade a bit too. Already bought the LEDgauges HID kit, AutoTrix window fix, bbfranker headlight motor fix....that should get rid of some of the little things I don't like or am having problems with.

But lastly I put an order in for some ARHs with catted Y, which will run through my GMMG CB.

I want to make sure I have everything I will need and nothing unnecessarily. Originally I was going to keep the AIR system, but after ordering the LT's with AIR...., I've decided to just block it off and get rid of it to clean up the engine bay a bit. So I bought 2 AIR block-off plates to seal it off. Anything other hoses or lines need plugged to make that that work?

I am going to buy shortly GM header gaskets to replace my stockers (they are cheap, why not, any advice to the best ones?), 02 sensor plugs from ThunderRacing to plug up the rear 02 sensors and I'll get the codes deleted later, and the prothane motor mounts from WS6store. Headers are coming with 02 extension and NGK plugs and MSD wires.

I most likely will have a local speedshop do the work. I live in an apartment complex and they are very strict about work being done on vehicles in the parking lot. I just don't have the tools or space.

I appreciate any advice, hopefully I've thought of everything. Let me know what you think! Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Depending on the cam you're using, you might not even need to use the O2 sims. I didn't, anyway.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

A 10mm racheting wrench will do you wonders!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

I truly wish I could put these headers in myself. I know I have the capability, but just not the space or tools.

I will not be adding a cam to my set-up for some time. I am not going to be using o2 sims at all, I was just goin to buy the plugs from ThunderRacing.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

dude seriously all u need to install headers is a floor jack, 2x4s, some minor tools and alittle bit of time to do it, oh and a friend to hand you tools and stand around while u do all the work lol.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
A 10mm racheting wrench will do you wonders!
Hell yeah!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

just dont break a bolt off in the head i just did that today!good times for my DD
Old 03-08-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know if anyone can read since you said your not doing them yourself but i think you have everything there. As for the air system you will need 2 block off plates and you will need a cap for the air lid. That where the pump take the air from.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I really don't have the place or time now. I am still waiting on the headers and Y to get here. I'm leaving out of town next week and once i get back I start Physician Assistant School. Needless to say, I am going to be very busy the next two years =)

Having someone else install them gets me a quality shops workmanship and a little piece of mind. I completely understand I could do this on my own but my schedule in April means studying 5-6 hours every night after 8 hours of school.

Thanks all or the replies!

I did get a pair of block of plates and will be removing my AIR probably one night this week. Just waiting on the ARHs! I got a Chrysler master cylinder plug for he air lid and it will fit perfect.

Last edited by LastHawk; 03-08-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Sounds like you have it all. I would have the shop tune the car and remove the rear O2's when they do it.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I am debating a tune but really starting to lean towards it now. I figure it will be two more years before I do anything else to the car performance wise. Might as well spend some cash and know its running at its best.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Teching In

how much does it cost to have headers professionally installed?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

I've been told anywhere from $250 - $450. My headers are bring delivered today and I will try to get out to the shop to get a qoute. Will let you know.