LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Something special,

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Something special,

Well as the story goes. My dad gave me a gutted camaro body. No wiring what so ever. I was planning on buying parts here and there to get this going so I can give back to my dad in running condition. My question how hard will it be to rewire the car? It has no fuse boxes, no nothing. Basically the shell with exterior panels, dash and steering column. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. As I would love to get this going for him.

Last edited by BLWNLT1_T/A; 03-02-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWNLT1_T/A
Well as the story goes. My dad gave me a gutted camaro body. No wiring what so ever. I was planning on buying parts here and there to get this going so I can give back to my dad in running condition. My question how hard will it be to rewire the car? It has no fuse boxes, no nothing. Basically the shell with exterior panels, dash and steering column. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. As I would love to get this going for him.
I would buy a wrecked car and pull out all of the wiring and swap it over. If you have the whole wrecked car, it won't be difficult to swap over one component at a time.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, zero interior panels, carpet, center console, seats etc?

By the time you get everything you need for it and running, you honestly will probably have more invested compared to just buying a running F-Body :\ I understand the reasoning behind what you're wanting to do though, and if money doesn't matter in order to achieve that goal then go for it SS' idea then is probably your best bet. Since you need everything, this might be a good candidate for a GEN III motor swap. Get the motor and trans out of a wrecked truck and slap it in Then try and find a front end wrecked 98+ car for all the wiring, ecm and interior parts. You'll have to get it tuned for whatever sized motor you get (4.8, 5.3, 6.0 etc), but that's no biggie. Hell the ECM from the truck may even hook into the LS F-Body harness, but someone would have to chime in on that.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

i would build a gutted street car for him
Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWNLT1_T/A
What year is the Camaro? Some of the harnesses are available aftermarket.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

96/97 camaro.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

only reason I'd consider spending time is doing a total gutted race car car honestly, like a carb'd gen 1 with a th350
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No it's going to stay gutted. But was planing to put an lt1 back into it. Leaning more in a sbc now. I think this would be a fun car for him.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Launching!

If you want to keep it light and simple....go with a Painless 18 or so circuit universal harness.

You want to retain power...door locks,windows,wipers....what????

I speak from experience when I say it was "painless" to wire my car. Obviously a diesel can't except any wiring that was existing in the car. I have all aftermarket gauges. Aftermarket trans controller,!ABS, !HVAC, etc.

How simple do you want it? If you are keeping the LT1 and need the fuel injection stuff/ECM i would do like stated above and get an OEM harness.

Cleveland pick a part is a great place to find OEM stuff that is good quality used.

Cody

Quick Reply: Something special,