Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone sent their stock rockers to harland sharp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default has anyone sent their stock rockers to harland sharp?

i have heard that you can send your stock rockers to harland sharp to have them rebuilt or something like that. Just wanted to know how many people have done this and also what exactly is the benefit of having this done? I have an extra set of rockers sitting around and before i put my h/c on the next car i get i may want to get some aftermarket rockers but this seems like a good alternative.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a great idea.It kind of depends on your cam,if you going with something really large and aggressive,like over .640 lift,then aftermarket rockers are a good idea,but not a must have.But for most people the stock rockers will do the trick.The only problem with the stock rockers is they sometimes fail and the needle bearings in the center fall out,and get scattered down into your engine,possibly causing damage.So you send them to harland sharp and they rebuild them with a different bearing setup,so that the bearings can never fall out.Its a great idea and its what i did.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Launching!

I had mine done. It is a definite improvement over stock without having to worry about needle bearings falling out and they upgrade to beefier bolts to hold them down., you can go through patriot to get them done
Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about doing it. I have a high lift cam but i have been reading alot of threads with after market rockers breaking. I dont see any threads of stockers breaking other than the needle bearings.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
i have heard that you can send your stock rockers to harland sharp to have them rebuilt or something like that. Just wanted to know how many people have done this and also what exactly is the benefit of having this done? I have an extra set of rockers sitting around and before i put my h/c on the next car i get i may want to get some aftermarket rockers but this seems like a good alternative.
What heads will you be using? If using aftermarket heads like trick flow or AFR you want aftermarket rockers.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vsocks1
What heads will you be using? If using aftermarket heads like trick flow or AFR you want aftermarket rockers.
i have afr heads...so how do aftermarket rockers benefit over the modified stockers? Just wondering because i was using my stock rockers with my heads but i have heard that aftermarket rockers would work better with them do to the bronze guides or something
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

I believe the geometry is better which is a benefit to your heads.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my stock rockers modified by Harland Sharp - very quick turn around IMO, and for me, it was really nice to know that the needle bearings finally had positive retention instead of ending up all over the internals of my motor/oil pan like I've seen so many pics of on here.

The stock rockers are a nice, lightweight piece - once you upgrade them, they are a very solid piece that have very little weight over the nose, and are why many prefer them over some of the aftermarket roller rockers out there.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

with the aftermarket heads,like afr,The bronze valve guides will wear faster with stock rockers which dont have a roller tip.The stock rocker tips pull and push on the top of the valve as it opens and closes,this pull/push action on the valve puts extra wear on the guides.The aftermarket rockers with roller tips completely eliminates this action,and will increase guide longevity.Thats why i said if your using a very high lift cam,to get some nice aftermarket rockers,as a huge cam will increase guide wear rather quickly with stock rockers.Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtail2426
with the aftermarket heads,like afr,The bronze valve guides will wear faster with stock rockers which dont have a roller tip.The stock rocker tips pull and push on the top of the valve as it opens and closes,this pull/push action on the valve puts extra wear on the guides.The aftermarket rockers with roller tips completely eliminates this action,and will increase guide longevity.Thats why i said if your using a very high lift cam,to get some nice aftermarket rockers,as a huge cam will increase guide wear rather quickly with stock rockers.Just a thought.
o ok thanks...that makes sense. I was wondering what the main benefit of the aftermarket rockers was when you have bronze valve guides so now i see it is because they have the roller tips