Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

am i crazy? (FI cam idea/question) cam experts come in

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default am i crazy? (FI cam idea/question) cam experts come in

so i was messing around on dynosim 2003 and noticed that if i used a cam with these specs 234/254 .576/.595 that i picked up 187hp over my original cam specs (218/224 .550/.550) does anyone think this is worth a shot?

and the gain above was through 706 head flow specs i pulled off the internet

does anyone think this could work? cause i was thinking about getting one ground for me if it will

Last edited by nastychevelle; 03-02-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo or blower?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gauge
Turbo or blower?
turbo... i dont have the exact specs for a mpt70 so i used a garret tv45 460cm island flow 225 surge flow 76% peak eff. pressure ratio of 2.1 and max boost of 17psi
Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a lot bigger stick than your original cam. What LSA on both of them? You will definitely make more power with more lift and duration....and definitely shift your powerband up several hundred RPM. EXACTLY how much power you will pick up and how your power band will shift----only installing it will determine.

You will get endless opinions and "facts" about cam selection here, or on any forum for that matter. Only a REAL LIFE dyno will solve your mystery. Try it and post up. A $400 investment for 187hp sounds like a decently worthy gamble to me!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ninetres
That is a lot bigger stick than your original cam. What LSA on both of them? You will definitely make more power with more lift and duration....and definitely shift your powerband up several hundred RPM. EXACTLY how much power you will pick up and how your power band will shift----only installing it will determine.

You will get endless opinions and "facts" about cam selection here, or on any forum for that matter. Only a REAL LIFE dyno will solve your mystery. Try it and post up. A $400 investment for 187hp sounds like a decently worthy gamble to me!
yah lol there both 114lsa if the motor was in a car and done i'd be more than willing to order the cam and throw it in there

but what about lobes? xer/xfi/lsk/xe what should those be? what i had picked was both were XE and i also get to chose the LSA and intake centerline

would this be good?
234/254 .576/.595 both XE lobes and 114lsa?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

i just did some other stuff and by using that cam i listed above and putting 2.02/1.60 valves in stock unported 706 heads im up 239hp/70tq im at 846hp @6500 and 704tq @ 6000 (the tq is a litte higher in the rpm range than i'd like it to be) but since thats from the cam and not from the boost do you think a 5.3 with stock bottom end besides arp rod bolts would hold it on a good tune?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

You are going to have to do some massive fly cutting on the pistons to make the valves clear.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1290
You are going to have to do some massive fly cutting on the pistons to make the valves clear.
like how much we talkin? and hey that just means lower compression haha
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Launching!

at 846 hp with the stock 5.3 bottomend i think you oil pan will act like a great parts basket when it grenades
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Launching!

^^^ Thanks for the productive post lol
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've played with some of those dynsim types of software and they really don't model the exhaust dynamics of a turbo car very well, i.e. I don't think there is anywhere to input turbine flow characteristics...I'd be leary of running somehting with so much exhaust duration
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball
I've played with some of those dynsim types of software and they really don't model the exhaust dynamics of a turbo car very well, i.e. I don't think there is anywhere to input turbine flow characteristics...I'd be leary of running somehting with so much exhaust duration
they don't model the exhaust at all-i can also tell you that unless you have compared number in the simulation to actual dyno numbers it really isnt very good on anything.There are trends you start to see over time when comparing one to the other,by knowing these trends you can start getting some accurate info.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats huge duration and lots of lift for a 5.3 for sure. And usually most turbo guys go bigger on the lsa.. But as said there really needs to be some actual dyno tests to see what effects the various theories have in real life.
We have people that say reverse split is best, others normal split, others no split. Was have proponets for low lsa and higher lsa. Its generally agreed more lift is better but as you go too high past 600 you run into need to change out valve springs more often and possibly risk valve float if your springs can't keep it under control as boost can do that.

As for putting the power you mentioned thru a near stock 5.3...WELL GOOD LUCK!
I am nut sure what the stock 5.3 crank can take...a stock 6.0 iron block can take a lot and think a 346 or ls2 can also . I would for sure not cheap out and put in some decent rods and good pistons. At least then a tuning mistake won't take the ringlands out and the rods might hold up. Not an expert on the 5.3 so maybe they have different pistons and stronger rods but seems minimum strong rods and pistons are good idea at your desired power level.
Also remember you can't get much more power than max airflow the turbo can do so changing heads,cam ,compression, all that is only going to give more same max power but play around with the powerband under max power and let you run lower boost possibly to get max power. Course area under the curve will change a lot with different mods like cam and heads and all that and off boost power as well.

I guess build it ,dyno it and see how it holds together. There was this Rob Raymer guy few years back making big power and think running some great times with his stock or near stock engine car. Personally I like the peace of mind of knowing my pistons are forged especially after seeing many examples of blown ringlands in buddies stock engine FI builds.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Thats huge duration and lots of lift for a 5.3 for sure. And usually most turbo guys go bigger on the lsa.. But as said there really needs to be some actual dyno tests to see what effects the various theories have in real life.
We have people that say reverse split is best, others normal split, others no split. Was have proponets for low lsa and higher lsa. Its generally agreed more lift is better but as you go too high past 600 you run into need to change out valve springs more often and possibly risk valve float if your springs can't keep it under control as boost can do that.

I am nut sure what the stock 5.3 crank can take...a stock 6.0 iron block can take a lot and think a 346 or ls2 can also . I would for sure not cheap out and put in some decent rods and good pistons. At least then a tuning mistake won't take the ringlands out and the rods might hold up. Not an expert on the 5.3 so maybe they have different pistons and stronger rods but seems minimum strong rods and pistons are good idea at your desired power level.
Also remember you can't get much more power than max airflow the turbo can do so changing heads,cam ,compression, all that is only going to give more same max power but play around with the powerband under max power and let you run lower boost possibly to get max power. Course area under the curve will change a lot with different mods like cam and heads and all that and off boost power as well.

I guess build it ,dyno it and see how it holds together. There was this Rob Raymer guy few years back making big power and think running some great times with his stock or near stock engine car. Personally I like the peace of mind of knowing my pistons are forged especially after seeing many examples of blown ringlands in buddies stock engine FI builds.
well i didnt plan on building it but ifi got my 5.3 build done and swapped in this cam it would be worth looking at but i was just cecking out if using 20* more duration on the exhaust side helped with a turbo and would be a good idea.... i really just wonder what something like this would sound like at idle
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

That cam would sound pretty lopey, I had a 236/246 and your idea would cackle like crazy.

But I think you'd need to flycut a lot.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
That cam would sound pretty lopey, I had a 236/246 and your idea would cackle like crazy.

But I think you'd need to flycut a lot.
crackle? and how much would i need to fly cut?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

crackle like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG65mcICyuY
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6

I know the guys at 1320video that did that ford fairmont with a stock 5.3 with a z06 cam and a spring upgrade and they were in the 9's with it and I think they were shoving 20 lbs of boost into it.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I know the guys at 1320video that did that ford fairmont with a stock 5.3 with a z06 cam and a spring upgrade and they were in the 9's with it and I think they were shoving 20 lbs of boost into it.
nah parish said they maxxed the turbo at like 15
Old 08-27-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure the 5.3 is the same crank as an ls1, which seems to be holding its own up to 1,000 HP.

5.3 = smaller bore, same stroke, same crank as ls1

Quick Reply: am i crazy? (FI cam idea/question) cam experts come in