LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with timing cover seals.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with timing cover seals.

I was trying to put my timing cover back on and notice the water pump drive was catching on the seal. i take it off and there is a little lip on the drive that seems to fold the seal. is there anyway to get pass this. I've noticed there is a tool but i really don't feel like spending $55 on a tool ill use once. Thanks in advance.

Steve.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a CO2 cartridge for a BB gun and cut off the one end (the non pointy end, the rounded end) and used this as a seal resizer/installer. This will expand up the sealing surface so it can slide over that water pump drive.This seal installer will only work if the cover is already on the motor and you are installing the water pump drive seal afterwards, as the tool will not fit through the water pump drive hole in the cover. For the $2 I spent to make it, it worked great! If you don't quite understand my explanation,I can post a picture of it tomorrow if you like!!!
Good luck!

Mike
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

so u slide the seal on the co2 cartridge. then slide the cartridge over the waterpump drive, and then slide the seal back as u pull the cartridge off the drive and this way you miss the lip? that makes sense to me, but does my explanation make sense to you? thanks for the help BTW
Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Bump, seems like it would work. Has anyone done this with a socket? just wondering.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by strokin93z
Bump, seems like it would work. Has anyone done this with a socket? just wondering.
You can use the body of the right sized sharpie marker too. You basically install the timing cover, slip the tool (co2 cartridge, sharpie, whatever you can find to work well) over the water pump drive, then slip the seal over the tool and tap it on with a deep socket.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with timing cover seals.