Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has clearanced/hacked a SS hood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who has clearanced/hacked a SS hood?

I am posting in this section because I think this is the only part of the forum that I will find others who have hacked/cut a SS hood do to clearance issues. Has anyone done it to fit a different manifold, carb setup, etc?

I currently have a GMPP manifold with a intakeelbows.com elbow. The top of the hood just barely touches the top the elbow, enough to leave a mark. The new setup I want to go with will be about 2.5" taller.
So I want to change it to the new setup that will use 4 barrel Accufab TB, with a blow through carb bonnet/hat like this guy has.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...car-motor.html

I have done some calculations with the manifold, TB, nitrous plate, and hat that he has used, and my setup will be about a quarter of a inch taller than his is. He has a lot of pictures of how it fits. I am not opposed to doing some light hacking to the hood to get it to fit..I just dont want to hack it and then realize that it still can't fit and I will have a hacked up hood that I can't sell. Do you guys think if I just cut the underside of the hood where the hat will be that I should be ok? I am considering a VFN 3" SS hood, but not sure if I will like it. It hasn't grown on me yet. What do you guys think? Will I be ok by just cutting the factory SS hood? I dont realy want to change motor mounts to lower the engine. Thanks